1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling Snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Doug Montanari, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

Have run out of room on a property to pile any more snow property owner has asked me to remove it. any do's or dont's to hauling snow?

2. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

What equipment do you intend to haul it out with? Where are you planning on putting it off site?

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Do make sure you're allowed to dump it wherever you're taking it. Don't do it for nothing.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If you never done it before sub it out to someone has the right equipment and add 10% to there bid

Last year I have 2 banks that needed be hauled out fast So I sub them 2 jobs out to a guy had more trucks then I do

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do it on the weekend when the DOT are not out.

6. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

x2 on the disposal location question. Is quite often considered contaminated b/c of the salt, oil residue, trash and other debris mixed in...

7. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

will be dumping at my own location will be loading with skid steer and hauling with a 1 ton dump do I need to worry about snow sticking to the bed of the truck?

8. procut

procut Senior Member

When I've hauled snow I've typically had trouble with it sticking to the inside of the box. Always have to keep slamming the gate.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

A one ton?... That's going to take a while, unless its a very small lot and very close dump site.

10. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Snowguy is right. Unless it is a very short haul it's going to take forever for any decent size pile.
    The average 1 ton dump will hold 5 yards or so. Take a ruff measure of your snow pile L x W x H divide by 27 this will give you a ruff estimate of yardage. No figure out how many loads.

Use your skid and look on CL for someone to supply a bigger truck. Or jump on here and find someone in your area with one.
    If ou are billing hourly taking along time may seem good but if you come back to the guy with a crazy bill odds are he gets pissed doesn't want to pay it all and you may lose the work in the future. There is decent money in hauling so sites that require it are worth keeping.

And since we do not know how long it is if your hauling close then ignore everything I said and goto town. As for snow sticking it probably will. Some guys spray there bed with Diesel. (prob not legal) other will spread a bag of salt in the box for the first load it will help make a brine that will stay for awhile, or you can put some RV antifreezer in a sprayer and spray the box a few times throughout.

11. Martinson9

Martinson9 Senior Member

We have been hauling this year with our Chevy 3500 with an 8 foot dump and our 14 foot Dump Trailer with 6 foot sides. We have sides on the 3500 so we can haul about 7 yards. We don't fill the dump trailer full, but I think we can haul a little less than 15 in it. It's definitely slower than with a bigger truck. But, our dump site is only about 10 minutes from the hauling site. We used 30 yard roll offs one time and figured out the cost doing it that way. Now we just charge the same amount, but use our own equipment so we can keep all the money. It's definitely been a good money make for us this year. If we had a lot of snow or a long distance to go we wouldn't do it ourselves. We are hauling 50 to 80 yards per event.

Ryde, I mean to ask you what you use to haul. Your 550 or do you sub out the hauling?

12. procut

procut Senior Member

If there's a will there's a way, I moved almost 500 yards with this setup after our "big" storm this year. Now granted the truck only had to drive maybe 1000 feet to the dump location outside the fence. I like the idea of throwing some salt in the box before the first load to help it keep from sticking, gonna try that the next time.

1461531_957846687513_550169474_n.jpg

13. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I hire an excavator guy. He comes with side dump, his Volvo loader and I clean up around him with the skid. 12 side dumps went out this morning.

14. House2Home

House2Home Junior Member

Maybe I missed something? There isn't anything illegal about hauling snow.

15. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

You are right. What Grandview is worried about is weight. If you put 5 or 6 yards of snow in a 1 ton dump, you are going to be heavy, REALLY heavy if it a pile of wet snow. One trip over the scales and your snow removal effort will be ruined.Thumbs Up

16. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We use everything from a 550- 40 yard roll offs. Depends on how much snow and where it has to go. We sub the big trucks as needed.
    IN a short haul single axles are hard to beat. They load fast and dump fast. Anything with a longer haul is time consuming. Around here snow gets hauled for $5-7 a yard alot so if you figure your times out based on that it can help decide which size trucks to use.

17. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Depends how you haul it. It's common for trucks to get stopped if the snow is heaped up over the side or there is snow blowing off while driving. We have had trucks stopped and told they needed to be tarped. The other issue would be weight. Wet snow can easily over load a truck. For the most part hauling is done overnight and most cops will ignore you but some will be dicks.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^ actually the weight restrictions are lowered anr are really only in effect for bridges.
    in mn The weight is increased to 80,000lbs depending on how deep the frost is.

169.826 GROSS WEIGHT SEASONAL INCREASES.
    Subdivision 1.Winter increase amounts.

The limitations provided in sections 169.823 to 169.829 are increased by ten percent between the dates set by the commissioner for each zone established by the commissioner based on a freezing index model each winter.

Subd. 3.Excess weight permit.

When the ten percent increase is in effect, a permit is required for a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer combination that has a gross weight in excess of 80,000 pounds

19. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I was speaking of trucks being over there GVWR.

20. Martinson9

Martinson9 Senior Member

$5 to $7 per yard. Don't tell my customer. I'm charging close to $10. I better take real good care of them so I don't have them looking.