1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling snow....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris08087, Dec 10, 2003.

1. chris08087

chris08087 Junior Member
    from NJ

I have never hauled snow, so this might be a stupid question, but doesn't snow get stuck to the inside of the truck if the bed isn't heated? how would I prevent the snow from sticking to the sides of the truck and freezing? Is there a trick to getting it out if it is frozen in(other than with a shovel)?:p
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i can only speak with limited experience, but this past storm was the first storm where we had to haul snow. we had two trucks hauling, neither had a heated body, and the snow dumped out just fine. sometimes a little bit in the corner would not dump out, but the majority dumped out fine.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

As long as the dump bed stays below freezing BEFORE you load it with snow, it will slide out just fine. The reason snow sticks is when the snow hits the bed and the bed is above freezing, it temporarily melts a small portion of the snow and re-freezes it to the body causing it to stick. I used to spray a teflon spray on it to help but once I forgot. Turned out it was fine without it.
  4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hilbilly snow "removal"

Step 1.....Load snow into bed of truck
    Step 2.....Proceed to dumping location
    Step 3.....Pull into WARM garage at dumping location and take a break ( let snow melt a bit )
    Step 4.....Go back into truck, pull out away from garage, drop tailgate...and MASH the gas :eek: snow will come flying out of the bed :D

Good luck
  5. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

It all depends on weather conditions. A lot of times the snow in the pile is warmer than the bed of the truck and it freezes to the bed. When ever I haul snow I broom the inside of the bed including the sides with a gallon or two of diesel fuel. I do this before I start hauling and it prevents sticking for the whole hauling session be it 1 load or 50.
  6. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

sticky snow problem

Amen to the diesel fuel solution. just remember to be environmentally consious, a little goes a long way. after a coupla loads of snow , it gets so slippery in the box that you have a hard time standing up in it . it does work in all temps. As far as a heated box , it usually is a short haul to the dump site that the load doesn't have a chance to get warm and on the return trip what did melt re-freezes and you have a real mess. J.P. in cold WI
  7. JeffY

JeffY Junior Member

We use slip-plating for our beds. They work great. It's best if applied in several coats to insure that it will slide out. Slip-plate is usually a graphite mixture paint. Works like a charm.
  8. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Use a weed spayer to apply the Diesel and you will only need about a half a quart to do a big box. Big thing is let the bed freeze if it has been in a heated shop before you load it.
  9. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

I like the idea of a weed sprayer to apply the diesel fuel. It makes me think "Why didn't I think of that?":D