1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling snow w/dump trailer...Gooseneck vs Bumper pull

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawntec, Sep 27, 2014.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

I am looking to add a 16' dump trailer for hauling snow.

I am debating between a Ram 3500 SRW or Dually.

Now, should i forget about a bumper pull and get a goose neck? Or will bumper pull be just fine?

Also, what do you recommend.... 3 x 7000 axles or 2 dully axles??

Thank you

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Pulling a trailer threw the snow sounds like a PITA, gooseneck will be able to haul more weight, but are more $ then a bumper pull.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think you'll be just fine with bumper pull.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

The easiest way to awnser this... will you EVER have or plan on having a salter in the back of your truck???

5. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

So your saying, there is no major difference between gooseneck and bumper pull...besides being able to haul more?

6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Hes saying just don't plan on putting a salter in the truck if you want to use the in bed hitch in winter. Pulling the salter out of the box to haul the trailer may get boring after a wile.

7. nixray

nixray Senior Member

One of the biggest advantages of Gooseneck is moveaabilty. Do you have tight corners to park/store?

One of the biggest disadvantage is per say your truck goes down, you NEED another truck equipped with the hitch. Where as Nongooseneck you can hook up rapidly

8. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Any amount of hauling with a dump trailer is miserable, tey dump los, slow becuase theyre electric, battery dies, and you have to tow it

9. Triple L

from Canada

And a gooseneck can only be pulled by a pickup, what about if you get a single axle dump truck, then the gooseneck is useless, again... I've had one, for a year, then went back to bumper pull and will never make that mistake again

10. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

If you plan on dumping the trailer more the 3 times per night buy a few extra batteries. I have a 14' bumper pull and after 3 dumps the battery is dead. And in the cold they do dump slow. You might even get 2 two dumps per battery if its cold enough.

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

WTF???? Have another drink.

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And how much snow are you going to move with a 16' trailer? Seems like a complete waste of time and money to me.

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Don't you run a separate pwr from the towing trk to the trailer? Like the break away battery pwr? Had a tilt trailer and it would work all day hooked up to a trk

14. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Also look into buying a single axle dump truck.. an old single axle truck (f750 size) can be had for not much more than a new dump trailer.

15. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

The trailer uses the 12v power wire to trickle charge the battery but the dealer told me it takes about two hours of driving to recharge after one dump.

16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That's why you run cables straight off the battery

17. Triple L

from Canada

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I doubt that highly. Keep the trk running while your dumping. And whatever your alt is charging your main battery at, it's the same for the trailer

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Run cables from the trucks batteries to the rear of the truck and connect it to the trailer, end of problems.
    We used to do that when we used gas spreaders.

20. CjBonavenia

CjBonavenia Member

@dieselss idk where this dealer is that toled you that but I have a new 14 foot cam superline galvanized dump trailer and I can dump all day and not die the battery even disconnected from the truck it will dump at least ten times loaded without killing the batterie. It has its own charger so when it is connected to the truck there is no prob and I have made a lot of loads one after another prob 10 min turnaround time while hooked to the truck and never even hesitated once this trailer is allso 14000 gvw with two , two stage pistons