1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling Snow Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Yardworks, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Does anyone that hauls snow have an approximate idea of how much snow you'll have per square foot? For example: 3 inches of snow for a 26000 sq. ft lot= how many yards of snow. Any help would be appreciated. I need to give an estimate for a bank on Friday, 26000 sq ft, and they want all snow hauled off site. The snow hauling is going to be charged by the hour, but I like to give them a rough idea of how long it's going to take.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Yardworks, here's the math...

26k sf multiply by .25 and then divide by 27 to get just under 241 cubic yards. Hope this helps.

-John

3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

That would be mathematically correct. The only problem with that is that the snow is going to get denser as it's handled, which in this case is a good thing. The only problem with that is that it's real hard to say how much denser it'll get because it can vary so much to begin with.

There was a thread on this very subject not to long ago. My recollection is that there wasn't any real agreement reached, and I don't recall anyone offering any real specific numbers that they'd recorded. Maybe somebody who didn't read that one can help on this one but til then, try a search...

I've loaded and hauled snow, but only after it had begun to interfere with parking. It was several storms worth so I have no idea of how many inches it was when it fell.

4. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Yard,

For a matter of argument sake lets take ploweds figure of 241 and round it to 240 for easy of numbers. Right there you looking at 12 tri-axles, and then we say on the very low side of 15 min to load the dump truck, so at a min it would be 3 hours... to just load
    However that is on the low side so I would go with 1/2 day to 2 days depending on if you have a dozen tri-axles lined up and ready to go, also depending on how far away to dump the snow... if the location is 15 min away you could figure about 40 per round trip.... but all this is a guess...

just my .02 and IMO... I am sure someone will say otherwise

Pete

5. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I haven't had to haul snow, but I do include it in my contract pricing. I charge anywhere from from $100.00 - $180.00 per hour to haul it plus the equipment needed. My thought process is, if I'm hauling it, they must really need it! Where do you plan on dumping it, you can't just put it off an overpass? Down here I'd most likely have to get permits to move it, unless I was putting it on private property.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2003
  6. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I must be pretty damn cheap, cause I'm loading and hauling it away for $125. per hour, thats loader and truck. If I bring 2 dumps in It goes to $150. per hour . Any thoughts.

Thanks
    Rick

7. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I'm willing to bet it would be no where near 240 yards. Like someone mentioned before the more you handle snow the more condensed it gets. Depending on the moister content, I'm guessing it would be closer to 50-60 yards. Another question, does anyone have a rough idea of the weight of a yard of plowed condensed snow? When you haul with your tri-axles do you fill them to the top or would that jeopardize weight restrictions from the DOT?

8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

In terms of weight, I'm sure it's still lighter than dirt. That is, as long as it's still snow--once it becomes water I'll bet it can get pretty close on a yard to yard comparison. But if it were water you wouldn't need to haul it....

An experienced driver could probably guess from how his truck is handling whether he's got a heavier than legal load or not.

9. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

cheifplow,

it all depends on your market. Hourly rates for equipment in your area. A consideration might be a higher rate if it can't wait. But if hauling can wait until your not busy (supply and demand) then you can have a lower rate.

Loader around here goes for about $100/hour and a truck at about $50 plus a $10 tipping fee at the snow dump site

I don't have either of these peices of equipment but have hired them regularly

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

It never works out if you do the math.I be suprised if you got 30-40 yards by the time it's loaded,on a lot that size.Snow weighs nowhere near dirt or other materials even when wet,so don't worry about overloading.

I have always found it best to try to estimate by time required,as that's what your charging for right ? Estimate times will be based on what you are doing it with,and the hourly rate will reflect that as well.Bigger equipment gets it done faster,but demands more per hour. Around here the times are based on loading only.Drive time to the dump site is included and worked into the hourly rate.We usually dump on our other commercials where we have room to do so,with permission.Check with your municipality,they may also have a dump site you could use.We charge $300.00 an hr,1 hr min, for a large loader and a tandem dump,$150.00 for a bobcat,and a single axle.That job should take no longer than an hour with the right equipment.Quote them higher than what you estimate it to take though.If your actual price biled comes in lower you look good,if you overrun it it makes you look bad or inefficient.

11. DanG

DanG Senior Member

For the removal I just had done i paid $75 per hour for the 4x4 backhoe and $45 per hour for each of the trucks( used 3).

Worked out to just over $200 per hour for all the men and equipment. Took them just over 4hrs to load & move 18 truck loads.
    If I had to use my 1 ton dump I'd still be there for the next month moving snow.

Luckily they have their own dump site on a farm they own near where I needed them to haul from.

Dan

12. kutnkru

kutnkru Member

The rates Ive been quoted for hauing snow this year were as follows:
    Front End Loader: $125-175/hr incl operator
    Tandem Axel or Heated Dump Trailer: $100/hr (avg)
    Skid Steer: $70/hr (avg)
    Medium Duty or Stake Bed: $70/hr (avg)
    Hand Labor: $30/hr (avg)

13. Temco

Temco Member

lengthXwidthXdepth=cubic feet divide this number by 27 and that will=cubic yards as a general rule of thumb

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Chief Plow, since you asked, your TOO cheap! Here a payloader alone runs $125/hour, and a tri axle dump is $75/hour. By your own numbers you're only charging $25/hr for the second truck. How do you pay your bills?

To those who asked about weight: You can load your truck 'til the snow spills off and still be under your GVW, it's light in comparison to other bulk materials. Judging from handling characteristics, I'd say it's about as dense as mulch.

15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I know some people like that.

(Sorry, getting off topic...) :)

Even though you'd be okay weight-wise I'm sure Pelican isn't endorsing the idea that it *should* be spilling off the sides. That has it's own set of law enforcement and liability related problems. At the same time you don't want to use the loader to crunch it down in the bed too hard. It sticks in there a whole lot more easily than mulch...

16. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

I just cleared a property this morning we took 20 loads, 3 trucks @ $200.00 per load leaving property including loader. we finsished this in about 2.5 hr's dump site was very close and we have no dumping fees.
    Just remember not everyone has the equipement to remove snow so price it accordingly.

17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You're right Digger, just making a point. Though I've never seen them enforced, the same laws apply to snow as any other bulk material.

From my experience, you hardly realize you're hauling anything when moving snow.

18. rainair

rainair Senior Member

here is a thought to this old question of hauling snow

check with your dept of natural resources, some lakes have an over amount of shad in the Midwest, shad are overtaking some lakes.. and do not live in salt water.. we have been asked in our area to dump in the local reservoir to kill off some of the shad... :gunsfiring: just a bit of info from the BUCKEYE state

19. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We always sub it out and charge a 15% for handling the subs. The good part is, most tri axle people are happy with the work at time they might not be working at all. So we don't make much $ off it but it keeps our clients happy and I don't squeeze the tri-axle operators so they are happy to come back next time. My subs handle disposal and have never had to pay for it. So the best bet is to check it out with some local operators and get an approximate idea of the cost.

20. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

check with your dept of natural resources, some lakes have an over amount of shad in the Midwest, shad are overtaking some lakes.. and do not live in salt water.. we have been asked in our area to dump in the local reservoir to kill off some of the shad... just a bit of info from the BUCKEYE state

Thats interesting because I plow in the Great Miami river watershed and the Ohio EPA will fine you for dumping into an area that will run into the river. Once it's loaded into a truck snow is considered contaminated and has to be dumped in the landfill(which will melt and end up in the river)... One city I plow near use to dump on the river bank and ended up with a several million dollar fine for it....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004