1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling snow. Just got contract.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by borwicks, Dec 14, 2009.

1. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

The local post office called me last Tuesday about doing snow. They lease the building but have pull. Long story short. I bid each lot at $65 per push and $85 per hour to haul off. Ive never done this but got the bid. I just finished. My dump trailer holds 18 yards. I hauled away 11 loads. took 19 hours. So is $1615 a fair price. Its 45-60min round trip to dump site. about 30 minutes to load.

2. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

198 yards of snow. I loaded with a 5' material bucket.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

yeah, that is a fair price, we do a lot of hauling of snow from banks and stuff too, ane we charge in that range also, we have one contract that is a industrial manufacturing facility, that we hauled snow from, 1.5 weeks, 24hours a day, two skidsteers, two dump trailers with extended sides, i won't tell you the price tag, but when we got done, i paid all my guys a $1000 bonus, and i bought a new truck and a new dump trailer.

4. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Yikes that's cheap. Plowing here starts at $100 to $200hr/ season. Relocation $150 to $180hr. Glad I live where I do. tymusic

5. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

Thanks. I really had no idea what to charge. I only knew that if I was going to do it I wanted to make some money. There are not alot of snow hauling outfits in this area. I normally only charge $65 per hour for my old 1993 new holland with a 1200lb lift rating.

6. Grassman09

Let me know when you have another job. I have some family friends out there.

7. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

Plowing in this area is anywhere from $50-$110. There are a ton of moon lighters here. We dont get heavy snows very often so any one with a 1/2 ton truck will plow. ARGh.

8. Grassman09

Thats prob why you got the job you were the cheapest. You need to call your competition and get them to quote it and then see how much you can do it for and what you want to make off of it.

Yea that sucks then. Seeing as its a government agency do you not need proper insurance? They will hire guys doing it for beer money.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  9. buckwheat_la

all depends where you live, my skidsteers go for $70-75/hour, my dump trailers $85/hour, my loader $100/hour, emergency service for non contracts, time and a half. you can call it cheap if you want, but i guarantee you i wouldn't have got the contract doing that industrial plant if i was at your prices.

10. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

I just started doing sub this year and they pay the same price for straight blade or v. I run a 9'2 boss. They gave me 2 high profile accounts and not one complaint. We do better work then there own guys. We were going around with the skid steer and jd750 cleaning up after these jokers because of complaints.

11. buckwheat_la

are they interested in doing some subbing grassman?

12. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

Im happy with the price. The postmaster is happy with the work. The owner called and left a message, hes happy the postmaster is happy. Im making more money then normal. Everyone is happy. Thanks for all the input. I have to come up with a better way for the snow to come out. Iam thinking some UHMW.

13. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

I actually had a old friends wife call me. she works there. they only called one other place and he couldnt haul away.

14. Grassman09

Yea different market out there. Just like north of me. Every farmer prob has a snowblower for his tractor and figures well hes up at the ass crack of dawn feeding the chickens and blowing his drive so why not make a few $$$ and pay for the diesel in the tractor.

No the family member that is in Alberta is a park ranger. But fly me there I don't mind the cold and its not going to snow here for 2 weeks.

15. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

Im insured. Its surprising how many commercial places dont ask for proof of insurance. home owners are even worse. I always offer it up upon the first meeting. I think most of them just assume you are insured and we know where that goes.

16. Grassman09

I had to do some removal once and I was going to line my trailer with a tarp. My friend told me I should spray my trailer down with diesel. LOL... I ended up being able to move it to the other side of the road into a ditch. Saved a bunch of time and still made a killing. :D

Sorry wasn't saying you are not insured. I was just saying in general one would think you need to have insurance to work for the Government.

17. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

I cant do that iam dumping in a field. Im actually working for the person that owns the building. never met or talked to him. The post office made all the arrangements. In reality im working for them. they called me, if i keep them happy he will keep paying me.

18. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I am just surprised that customers will allow you to haul snow off with dump trailers.

around here the smallest we can use is a grain truck, and thats only because they are high capacity. they just don't want to pay for it if they will it won't be productive enough. they also want atleast 2 trucks so that there is less time the loader is sitting.

19. borwicks

borwicks Junior Member

18 yard dump trailer, its not a small one. They are paying $85 per hour weather Iam in loader or truck. Its a one man show. Time starts from when I hit the lot with loader till loader is gone.

20. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

that's decent rate, you made good money. i'm surprised they didnt ask you to find a closer dumpsite but hey, it is what it is and you made out well