1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling snow blower with salt spreader?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lasher66, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

I am going to be doing snow removal next winter and was wondering if it was possible to haul a snow blower with a salt spreader on the back? I will probably have mostly residential and a some commercial. Just wondering how you guys deal with the sidewalks on residential? thanks for the help

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Sidewalks on residential? what are those:D

For $5 extra I offer to "shovel" the snow that is on the sidewalk leading to the front door, the little bit left behind in front of a side door on driveway and the little bit in front of the garage, but no one took up the offer. In reality I wouldn't shovel I'de use my single stage Toro snowthrower.
  3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

if you have a full size v box in the back, you could get a nice compact Toro 2450 single stage, fold up the handle and throw it in the passenger seat. This is really the only solution I have come up with for my own situation. Needless to say, I threw a snow shovel in the back and called it good.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I forget where, but there was someone on here that put a shorter spreader than the length of the bed so he would have room between the front of the bed and the front end of the spreader to put shovels and single stage snow throwers, ill try to find the page.
  5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Offset your Vbox slightly in the bed to give yourself a tad of room for the blowers. It wont hurt anything and works fine.
  6. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Sorry, I meant the hitch type spreaders on the back of the truck. I have a commercial snowblower and would be to heavy to lift over side. I guess I could go get a smaller one.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Get a single stage Toro or similar. I just grab mine and lift it over the bedside and place it in the front of the bed. The salt bags occupy from that point rearward.

My Toro does real nice with snow up to about 15". Above that and your working. Still beats the shovel.

I used to have an old big 1032 JD 2 stage. Ended up selling it when I realized how much MORE money a salt spreader could make. Cant do both with the big blowers.

So, stick with a nice light 2 stroker, and chuck it up in the bed by hand. They're only like 80lbs or so.
  8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if your going to use a tailgate spreader go with a swingaway mount
    this way you can still use the tailgate

10. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Thanks for the replies. I think the best way is to go with what was mentioned earlier in the thread and get a light snowblower to lift over the side. My snowblower is heavy and I would have to get the ramps out every time to get it out of my truck. Do you guys usually offer the sidewalk snow removal? It seems like if you didnt, you would lose accounts because the customer would still have to come out and shovel the sidewalk.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I don't offer unless it's asked or part of the contract from the beginning.

There are pleanty of my accounts that I don't even get out of the truck.

I used to get out and shovel in front of garage doors, and such....Now, I'm in and out.

I only use the blower for 3 of my commercials. And on them, only when it's over 3" or so. Under that amount, I can often times get out and use my shovel quicker.
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Except if you don't like 12 holes drilled into your bumper and bed rails!