1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hauling of snow

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TPC Services, Oct 23, 2006.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

A friend and I are trying to do bids and get away from being a sub and getting are own accounts, I have had a business asked if my bid included hauling away the snow if it gets to be to big, Of course I would say yes to this because I eager to get the bid I would not think it to be to big of a issue. I can get my hands a on the equipment but did any of you have a suggestions on where I may be able to haul it to. May be the cities retention ponds?
  2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Call some gravel pits in the phone book.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Including hauling would be a mistake. Putting it into any body of water could land you in big trouble. Check with DEP before dumping anywhere, certainly before dumping onto/into any city-owned site. You may be able to dump on your privately owned land as long as it does not leach into a body of water.
  4. TPC Services

No, I did not plan on dumping it in to them with out asking the city first, I was woundering if any one knows if the cities they live in allow it or not. by the meaning of retention ponds I mean the areas set a side of the water run off thats to much for the citys to handle at one time.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No, you would not be allowed to dump in those. Snow being hauled contains polllutants which would leach into the waterway. I don't know of anywhere that would allow it.
  6. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

You can dump it on my front lawn for a piece of the action.

I need the moneys.
  7. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

Rules, rules, rules

So the snow falls out of the sky and is plowed into piles & rows and then it s lifted 15' into the air to a dump truck and moved to a more convenient location to melt and it suddenly becomes hazmat? Take it where the storm drains go. You'd just be speeding up the trip. :)

Dang leave it be and it's fine but use a front end loader to lift it up and a dump truck to move it and all of a sudden you've created nuclear waste or something nearly as bad. It's snow and ice for, oh never mind.

8. TPC Services

nice, LLN ann Arbor
  9. NASConst_land

NASConst_land Member

They are very specific on where you can dump snow around here. City use to dump into the river, well so did everyone else. That ended a few years ago so now you fields or vacant parking lots with stacks of snow. City dumps in the softball complexs around town, as for a company.. your on your own but usually someone confronts when u begin to haul the snow just to see where exactly its going. Check around to see where other guys are taking it.

Definently dont include that in your bid for your plowing price and hope that you dont have to do it. Because sure enough you will have to move it and it will be expensive.
  10. TPC Services

I did bid it, but gave them a very high price to do it
  11. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Ummmm maybe they don't use salt and chemicals on the roads where you are but that is a big issue most places. That snow that got lifted into the dump truck likely has lots of salt in it after being in a parking lot and probably lots of other crap too being tracked in on peoples tires...