1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hauling ATV

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by JMK26, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JMK26

JMK26 Junior Member

Been looking but can't find this question...

I'm curious how trailers handle in the snow. I only do residential and adding an ATV with plow to the mix.

I have never had to pull a trailer in the snow or icy conditions. How do they handle in the snow/ice? Can I drive like I normally do or go a little slower? Do they jackknife easily on turns?

Thanks for the input!

2. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Its all about how you load it. Keep a fair amount of tongue wight on it. Drive smart and should be fine. Towing empty in snow sucks.

3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I tow a 5 x 10 open trailer with 2 snow blowers. The problem I have found is that streets though they have been plowed they are left to choked with snow. Which can make parking a problem. Last year the road was only wide enough to be a single lane.

Lucky I was able to be back the trailer into a neighbors driveway across the street from the house I had to do.

Driving was not a problem. Pulled through deep snow, up hills with ease. Stopping was ok. I always allowed extra time and distance to stop.

4. glngib

glngib Junior Member

I have a tilt trailer and when driving onto it would not go down on its own. It pulled pretty good. Then, I backed on which is harder to do and it went down and pulled great. I think with the plow mounted on my Ranger 570 it would be ok to drive onto it. Tongue weight is the key. The back country roads can be tricky though.