1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hate to beat this like a dead horse !!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Eyesell, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

INSURANCE.....:blush2: now don't close the thread.....:eek:

Here's my predicament, does anyone know of a good insurance co. that will write me a decent policy even though I'm not doing landscaping. I'm having a hard time finding a source when all they ask is, is this a landscaping business also.

As soon as I say no, they will not put coverage on my personal truck plowing commercial lots. The guy I'm partnering up with will have liability for him and is looking into extended coverage for his sub-contractors ( for slip and fall stuff ) but my ins co now is not very corporative.

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions fellow plowers :salute:

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Three years ago I had the same problem. My agent simply told the underwriter I was starting out in the winter and had no idea what spring and summer would bring. They wrote me a landscaping policy with a snowplowing rider. It was never discussed again after that.

3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Went through the same thing.............I finally said "yes", I mow lawns. So I added my tractor and weed whipper and got a policy at a great price.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Find an independent agent.

I have two (actually 3) separate policies.

My general business liability

My snow plowing liability

my commercial truck liability/comp/collision.

All from different companies.

shouldn't be that hard.

5. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

I got a quote from main street. Snow removal only was $7k. Snow and landscaping was $3.2k. No brainer.

6. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I got dropped a few years back from State Farm. They had no problem with putting snow plowing on my trucks, but my Lib. insurance was a diffrent game. I went to Buiten and Assoc. an indeprndant agent out of G.R. Michigan. No problems there and the rates where better.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Good info, thank you !!

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try putting your truck under a commercial policy .

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Its always good to shop your insurance every couple of years. When your really small sometimes its hard to find a good deal. As you get bigger it seams like the agents are calling and knocking on your door to quote your policy

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I got mine through progresive commercial.

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i am very confident in my insurance company but i think its my agent more than anything. its a good price too. the company is hastings mutual, i think its out of Ohio but my agency is in hartland. hastings mutual is the place in hartland.

12. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

National Grange Mutual out of Keene, NH

They are all inclusive. Have our comm. liability, autos, equipment, workers comp, and so on. Great to work with.

13. d70stang

d70stang Junior Member

I had the same problem. I got my commercial policy through progressive. They just wrote it for 6 months and then will write a non commercial for the summer 6 months. I think mine was about 600 for six months...little less than half that during summertime. Hope that helps.

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

This is good to know, thanks again for the responses !!