1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hate Low bidders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowman52, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

So i no this happens to everyone but i just want to share lol.

I got a call yeasterday to bid on this new apartments that opened in my area i ask them what service they would like and told them i would be back tomarow with a formal bid..

so the next day i went there i was talking to them about the bid and the service that i would be providing to them as we where talking another guy came in to give a bid. He said he would look at the grounds and be right back.

he comes back in from looking and said i will plow and shovel everything for 100.00 up to 6 inches :gunsfiring: :eek:

i just dont understand how he did it so cheap i bidded it out for 250 a plow ( 2-4 inches).....

only thing i can think of is that he is not insured and only wants some beer money.

2. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

the first time he has to replace a u joint or transmission, he will be outta the game. sorry man.

3. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Don't understand, will Never understand people like that. I just had it happen to one of my properties I told the owner (who asked if I would do it at his $) he can have it and when the guy doesn't show up after a bad storm I'll be damned if I'll come back! Just tired of it, there is no loyalty anymore :mad:

4. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I would encourage you to say, call me if it does not work out. Once the low bidder messes up you have the opportunity to create a long term relatioship based on quality service.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

i agree they will understand i have about 8 jobs right around it so im sure he will give me a call back.... also i do agree no loyality with customers these days.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still comes out to how much you want to make. If he feels he can live on that money fine.

7. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

i agree with you totaly on that! grandview

8. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

If he get in trouble and can not perform they will call and u will do it!! That is the worst move you can make. Buyers have a short term memory. Do not ever help someone get out of a mess without a contract to finish out that year and for next year. If they can not do a contract for next year let him know your issues and see if you can at least get a hand shake on it.

9. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

All you can do is provide the best service possible and tailor to the people who want quality service. I know we have 1 client (4 properties) because we are the only ones around who will tailor to exactly what he wants. This is our 3rd year with the contract, that's the longest he's ever had a single company doing work for him. I guess the year before we picked it up he went through 3 different companies before finally getting referred to us for exceptional service.

10. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ohhh I got a good lowball story. I went back to an HOA that I bid out 2 years ago today. They said they hired another company over me last time and now they want to fire them because they are rutting up lawns they dont ever show up to plow etc. I said hmmmm was i the most expensive? They said yes. I said do you mind if i ask what they were charging to plow...he said for 8 units with two driveways a piece plus 7 double parking spaces in the center of the development plus 1/4 mile of road.....wait for it....$60.00!! I almost fell over.

11. gbtl

gbtl Member

today i saw a manager of a autoparts store i thought about bidding but didnt. i asked her if she accepted a bid yet. she said yeah, 850 for the season. unlimited. i gave her my card and told her to call me in december.

12. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I have a Senior living facility, whom I plowed last year and plowed at last minute this weekend tell me essentially I'll get it for the season...if I'm the lowest bidder. I'm all for competition, but give me a little credit. I get the call on Friday that they'd like me to bid it, I ask him what his plans are for the weekend snowstorm and he says "Snow?" So I stake the property 2 hours before snow starts flying and do the whole job last minute and I'll probably lose the job because of no loyalty. I just hate to play the bidding game in November because if I lose it, it's too late to make up that income somewhere else.

13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Bla bla bla! All you guys are calling this other guy a low bidder! How are you so sure that the OP's bid is not just extremly high.
    Perhaps the "Low Bidder" is using a 1970s plow truck, that does the same work as your 2011 f350. Well chances are his truck is payed off and yours is not. This is what's called expenses to be payed.

14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Does the 1970s truck pay for its replacement when it dies?

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The old that I worked for ,that would be a yes. He would but that 77 ish pickup truck and strip it down and have a few grand in it and they would last for years.He liked the 350 motor in it and tranny .He kept a few spare motors on the shelf ,easy swap out.But these trucks made a lot of money all year round.

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

JTV this senior living facility, was last year your first year with them? If it was, I must assume you were the lowest bidder, and the contractor who lost it was calling you a lowballer. If you had them last year, how come they had not received your new contract price yet for this year? Every September 15, we send renewal letters to all our clients, even the ones that go out and rebid every year. I think that was very nice of you to stake them and service them this past week, without a signed contract for the year. In business the term loyalty is over used, I am not saying you were wrong in servicing them this last storm, but if it was my company I would have explained that I run a business and for our company to service them we will need a contract for the season. We also have a policy, that when ever we get called to replace an existing contractor during the season, the price we quoted is the price it will cost regardless of when we take over.
    Lastly I want to come back to loyalty, how many years do you need to service a client that you feel loyalty comes into play? How loyal are you with your suppliers? Are you going to stay with the same salt supplier that has sold you salt for the last 5 years, and then someone else comes in and offers salt at $5.00 a ton less? What about $20 less will you still stay with that first supplier? Some of you will, but there will have to be more than loyalty involved. If both suppliers offer the same hours of operation, and payment terms, why would I stay with the first supplier if its going to cost me more. When you buy 500 tons of salt a year, that $5 is $2500 more in your pocket, at $20 its 10 grand, now I would start feeling that I was being taken advantaged of all these years. The OP mentioned he was going to charge $250 a plow, and this other person comes in at $100 a plow. That is a huge savings for the client, if you were in his place who would you pick if it means you could be saving 3 grand over 20 plows? It would almost be ridiculous not to give it a try. The client really has nothing to lose, he has no up front payment going out.
    The best thing is to move on, and fill in your routes. If the client does call later in the season, tell him you are full up, or take him on, but get him to sign for next year also. At least then there is a consequence for having gone with the lowest bidder.

17. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

How many square feet was the parking lot? Any obstacles worth noting? How much shoveling. To call this guy a lowballer, you need to give more info.

18. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I just don't get it, some of the rates these guys are talking about $40/hr. A truck doesn't just appear out of thin air. "A few grand" is a few grand. say its 4,000. 100 hours of plowing a year for 4 years, is a truck like that going to last much longer? so thats $10/hr to pay for that truck, pay yourself $18 (not worth it) 2 gallons of gas an hour $7, buy yourself a "tim hortons" or whatever all the rage is in your area, and in 4 years you got no truck again. We haven't covered insurance, maintenance, any kind of work you put into fixing the truck, getting any jobs for it to work on, your celly telly, shop rags, nothin.....

19. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

You hit the nail on the head. You know they will call back when there are problems

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I had an 1988 GMC I used longer then any truck I have had so far. At times I wish I still had it as it seemed it never broke and always was ready to go. Brake/fuel lines.gas tank were all replaced in one summer but I was still ahead of the the game toward a new truck.

Sold it in 08 after many many years of use/abuse

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=72997

As far as loyalty, we lost a HOA this year after servicing over 20 years.