1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has this ever happened to anyone...?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Jan 14, 2011.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

My local Rescue squad asked this November for me to bid on the snowplowing, along with some other contractors. The specs called for pre-salt, plowing every 3" (I told them it should be every 2") and salt every time. So I write up the bid, give it to them and wait. Well I find out that I lost the bid, the winner was over $1,000 lower then me. I scratched my head because I started thinking I was too low. I imagine he got the same specs I and everyone else got, come to find out he doesn't spread any salt. He's got an 80-something Bronco with no spreader. So I inquired with the squad after driving through their parking lot to find it was a skating rink. They assured me he did salt, but they thought it was funny since one of the other contractors came in a day before to say the same thing. I stopped in today since a friend of mine was working and as I was their the Village DPW truck comes in and salts the whole lot. Now I figure nobody has ever run across this exact situation but I know I could have matched this guy's price for a plow only contract, which is obviously all he is doing. Its like they gave different specs to different people, I've never come across that before. Everything I've ever bid on was done by one set of specs. I actually usually throw in something extra to sweeten the deal (like turf repair). For what its worth, he doesnt do a very good job, the handicapped spaces are filled with giant snow mounds. I know it's probably not woth the headache to service a customer like this but I just like everyone to get a fair shake.

2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I am sure they gave him the same specs as you. Some people just don't care. They will bid a job and do it their own way. I run across this in commercial landscaping all the time. The bid the job then cut corners to save themselves money. I will go behind them and look there will be fewer plants, smaller trees, ect. I figure let them have it. If I tried that they would call me on it.