1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has Fisher Gone High-Tech?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dcdlexmass, Oct 26, 2008.

1. dcdlexmass

dcdlexmass Junior Member
    from Boston

This is a new one on me ... I've installed nearly a dozen Fisher plows, both all-hydraulic & hydraulic electric. Been away from them for a few years & went to help a bud out who purchased a used Homesteader for his personal driveway.

Had to modify the mount a bit as he was installing one on his older (pre-94') vehicle ... Single lights with both high & low beam fillament. Wiring harnees that came with was setup for independant twin bulbs.

So as not to waist the day, we installed the control harness, solenoid etc. & would wait till tomorrow to see if Fisher had either adapters & or a new harness for the lights. Hooked the plow up to operate the unit & nothing ... No power to the solenid relay. ... No power to the fish stick controller either.
    Ran out the leads & all seem correct ... Question:
    Do you need to have the light wiring harness wired & installed as well to even get power to the controller?
    I remember the good old days when control & light electrics were totally seperate.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The controller is grounded through the harness so unless you have it fully installed and depending on the harness revision number, both plow plugs need to be connected for the controller to work as it's supplied it's ground through the plow side wiring...they've been that way for years.
  3. dcdlexmass

dcdlexmass Junior Member
    from Boston

Thanks for the reply ... I figured it must have been something like that. I've been away form the plow scene for numerous years & need a bit of catching up with the latest technology. Knew something was different when I noticed that there were three grille plugs instead of two like some of the former Minute-mount installs I did.

I guess the days of "cut & splice" have since gone by ............
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For the most part yes. The plow side hasn't changed too much but the truck side electrics have advanced by leaps and bounds. Now have micro as well as macro based processor controlled plow electronics with self diagnostics in several brands. Technology has a way of catching up with everything. As the trucks progressed with technology, so must the plows and equipment we're attaching to them.

Some of the advanced technology makes it better, some makes it worse from an installer/diagnostic point of view. Welcome aboard. :salute:
  5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, all of the new setups come with the multiplex wiring which means that a lot of the stuff we are used to doing with modding wiring is done.