1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has Douglas Dynamics quality really plummeted like so many people say?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camden, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Is the criticism for DD products merited or is it just a myth? I've owned Western plows for 11 years and they've all held up to whatever I've thrown at it. However, it seems like more and more people are talking about the decline of quality and craftsmanship from all of DD's product lines. Does anyone have any first-hand experience that backup these claims? If so, please share.

The last time I bought a new plow was in 07 and I couldn't be happier with it. I had to replace a solenoid last season but no one is going to complain about that. The plow has made me 50 times more than what I paid for it. After reading some people's posts it makes me think I got the last good plow DD ever made.

I want to purchase another plow soon but I don't want to get a $6000 paper weight.

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think its as bad as said...Yes, they do have issues...So do all the companys...Yes 2cor even Boss......I purchased an XLS 2 Years ago..Plow is holding up well...The issue is the wing cutting edges on the XLS/ Wideout are junk and they know it...They sent me a New set no charge and i think the new ones are worse than the Old.....I since have purchased a set of falline edges......Would i purchase another DD product...Yes

3. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I have 3 western pro plus plows 1 bought in Fed 2007, Nov 2007 and Nov 2010, and the only repair was a motor earlier this year on the one bought in Fed 07. Other than that they have been very reliable.

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Yes, I would say they absolutely have. I looked at the construction of my old UniMount last year when deciding on a new plow. I was all ready to hook up with another Western and then I started going over them.

I had the Ultramount undercarriage before. I now have a Boss. There is a difference, I guarantee it.

5. Matson Snow

We Know Boss Is The Greatest Plow Ever.....We get it....Look at a Boss Plow from a Few years Back...There have been some corners cut.....

I have owned Fishers since 1979...You are correct...They are not built the same....No plow is.......

6. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Such as...

7. Matson Snow

Such as what....A Fisher Plow or a Western or a Boss....Yes a Boss...Built back lets say 10-15 years ago were built alot tougher....More Steel..Better welds..Just all around Built tougher....I think Plows in this day and age are built to fail in some aspects....Keeps you coming back for More....I have Plowed with them all and My personal preference is just that...Personal Preference.....Im not running around here saying one is Better than the other...Because its...Personal Preference.......Would i buy another DD Product...Yup...The Dealers i have dealt with have been Top Notch...The people From DD i have dealt with on a corporate level have been great.....But , that My personal Preference

8. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

No, you said a few years ago Boss had their share of problems. I am asking, such as what... What problems are you referring to?

9. Matson Snow

What im saying is they all have Problems.....The Second Plow I owned was a Boss V and it had alot of issues...Hydro Problems...Broken welds....So i have first hand view of issues with Boss Plows.....Im not running around here saying a Boss Plow is Junk because of the issues I had....Would i Buy another Boss Plow...Yup...On the flip side I bought a Western when the Unimount came out....Not one issue..The guy running it for me was hard on Equipment and that Plow held up.......

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Curtis, Roy. :nod::drinkup:

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

On the Boss V plows... the mount for the springs, on the gay spring retract wings, tears off the back of the plow... on every one I've ever seen. :nod:

12. Matson Snow

I stand corrected....I said i have used them all.....I have Never Used a Curtis...:drinkup:

13. Matson Snow

One of the Plows i really Liked the Most was a Northman....It was cutting edge for its day.......:....Before you go to google and look up Northman plows...Its Not the same Plow as 20 Years ago....I think the real Northman Plow company went out a long time ago...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  14. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I agree 100% with that.

I replaced my old Fisher 8' speedcast plow that was on my 85 Chev this fall with a lightly used Fisher MM2 8'6" HD straight blade. I couldn't believe the difference in weight between the two blades, the old speedcast blade was heavier than the new one and it was narrower and not as tall as the 8'6 HD.

15. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

This is true no matter what you buy anymore. They charge more for stuff that isn't as good. This is why the big three are in such trouble. If they built a good product that would hold up they wouldn't have needed the bailout. The same is true about plows. I think it is a shame you can't but and nice anything without paying out the rear or going to a used unit. I ran sno way plows for years along with one blizzard and two boss v plows. They all had there issues but the blizzard was by far the best of all of them. I think the only thing I ever did to that was replace the wiring harness on the truck but just because the guys that installed it mounted it to low and it wore the end off over time.

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks, Crete, but I'm not looking to put a plow on my daughter's Barbie Jeep (she's already got a Meyer Super V on it) I'm looking for a real plow to do commercial accounts with.

:waving::drinkup:

17. cretebaby

:rolleyes:

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Don't give me that! Seriously, does Curtis even make a plow that has power angle? And aren't the headlights nothing more than candles stuck inside coffee cans?

19. cretebaby

LOL. No power angle or coffee cans even.

20. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

The changes they made in the blizzard line of plows was for the worst.... cheap and thinner metal... short cuts in welding... and the most annoying change is the new power hitch 2 system... the old style blizzards are much better than the new style.