1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has Chevy did away with the 8.1 L in the HD'S

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bike5200, Sep 22, 2007.

1. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Was by a Chevy Dealer picking up some parts for my truck. Picked up a book on the 2008 HD's After paging though the book I did not see an option for the 8.1 L. Went to Chevy's web site and there was no 8.1 L option there. Has Chevy done away with the 8.1 L in the HD's ?

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think they stopped making them a couple of years ago. I did hear though that they may be comming back with the motor in the light duty trucks but it could be all talk. I think it is still available in the medium duty trucks.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The '07 Classic body was the last year for the 8.1 in the light duty trucks.....

4. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

B&B -Do you know why Chevy stop putting the 8.1 L in the HD's? I really like the 8.1 with the Allison tranny. I guess I will have to take care of my old girl, she getting close to her 100,000 mile birthday.

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The 6.o got an increase in HP for the '07 nbs trucks. This put it pretty close to the 8.1L. they will also probably offer the 6.2L small block (right now available in Caddy Suv's and GMC Denali's) to fill the gap. And they can use the 6L80E tranny instead of the Ally which is needed for the 8.1L.

6. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

The 8.1 wasn't a big seller either. The guys that have them though wouldn't trade them for the world.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's for sure William...:nod:

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It was mainly due to stricter emission reasons. GM felt it would be easier and cheaper to continue to upgrade the LS1 series engines to produce more power and they were easier to do that with and keep them emissions compliant verses making the 8.1 meet the ever increasing emissions requirements. They were a great motor while they were in production in the light duty trucks though as guys here mentioned.

9. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I had an 8.1L with a 4L80E tranny in my Avalanche... It was a powerhouse and I loved it. If I had to have a gas engine in a work truck and the mileage did not matter, The 8.1 would be it!!
    The gas mileage drained my pockets of all extra funds...LOL. I now have a 12 valve CTD and could not be happier!

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

It's a GREAT engine! I took mine for granted until i started working my 5.4 Ford too.....

11. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

i have one in my 02 silver. was wondering how do they do with plowing? are they a good motor to be plowing with? i pull my bobcat 773 with this truck and i imagine the truck could prob pull it right off the trailer lol

12. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

do the allison transmissions hold up good with the 8.1 ?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They work great for plowing!....other than the gas mileage of course.... Lot's of low end torque and with the low first gear in the Allison, they'll push a mountain of snow.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutly! The Allisons will take much more punishment than any 4L60E or 80E that GM's used for years. Keep the temp under control and they'll take most anything you can throw at them. Their's a local guy around here with an '04 with an 8.1/Allison with a supercharger and a lot of custom tuning. He runs the truck at the local drag strip almost every weekend in the summer and plows with it all winter. When he race's it, he launches it in 4WD every time. Truck had about 80,000 miles on it the last time I looked and it still has the original untouched Allison in it going strong.:salute:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007