1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has back dragging gotten better over the last few years?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MikeBL, Dec 30, 2010.

1. MikeBL

MikeBL Junior Member
    from Canada

I do snow with blower and shovels, I've thought about plows but for residential they would just float over compacted snow on drive ways. Over the last few years though I've seen more and more people doing a not too bad job with their front plows. Some are crap jobs but others, I don't know if it's the operator or the plow, do a really good job at backdragging.

I don't see any of those snow way plows out here so I'm not sure of the brand, I'm also seeing a few of those rear plow and front plow set ups. But I was wondering if more front plows have down pressure or what?
  2. procut

procut Senior Member

I'd have to say it's a combination of a few things. Getting to the snow before it's packed down and going SLOW while back dragging make a world of differance. Some types of snow will scrape up easier, ie. fluffy vs. wet, ect.

I wouldn't neccessarily say the new plows are much better than the old ones at back dragging. I know there are few companies making back dragging cutting edges, which might be what some are using. I will however say when I got my first ultra mount I though it worked somewhat better for back dragging compated to the old unimounts, could have just been me though.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I think it's exactly what procut said. Backdrag edges, are made for almost every plow now, and what they aren't made for, someone is fabbing them up. I bought a new Western backdrag edge for my 9 ft Unimount this season, and it was only 120.00. It makes a huge improvement over using the regular front edge, but it's still not equal to downpressure.
  4. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

And no, snoway still has the patent for hydraulic downpressure.
  5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a new Snoway Mega V......I have yet to use the downpressure.......it weighs a alot and backdrags very well
  6. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

It also depends on the operator. Cleaning my own driveway a couple weeks ago, snow was packed down, gravel underneath that hadn't froze until the snow hit, backdragging was almost useless. Drive ahead a few feet, plowing as I go, then lifting the plow over the pile, and then backdragging the pile cleaned it up nicely.

If I were really looking at doing a lot of resi's, I would be looking at a small (say 8') back blade, or possibly an Ebling. Back in, drop at the end, pull ahead, voila. A couple passes to pull it all out, and a couple at the end to get it out of the way, and done.
  7. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

We have a skidsteer for this option it just makes it so much easier we send one guy out about half an hour earlier and he starts and when he is done with back dragging then he goes and bucks up the snow in our piles so we don't run out of room
  8. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I have a 8' Fisher MM2, put a 8" x 5/8" cutting edge on it and back blading has been awesome since, heavier and it scrapes like a champ, going slow helps alot too.
  9. MikeBL

MikeBL Junior Member
    from Canada

There's an idea. I wonder if that's what they're doing when they do a good job.
  10. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

A backdrag edge makes all the difference. Mine scrapes as good backdragging as it does going foward. As others said, I drive in with the plow down, then lift over the pile, drop it and backdrag out.

first pic - going foward
    second pic - backdragging

11. MikeBL

MikeBL Junior Member
    from Canada

Nice pics, I get it now i think. In resi drives you can drive forward and that will peal up the compacted snow then back dragging with one of those reverse things cleans it all up nice. I guess I daniels pull plow is almost irrelevant now?

That's what's always held me back from plowing. I always think I need two plows for resi, a front and a back plow. That adds up then there is weight issues, cops go crazy with front axle weight, rear axle weight, and total weight around here. It has to be legal weight wise.

There is a guy that posts here from my city (winnipeg) that started using just 350s so he wouldn't have to worry about weight.
  12. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

did you make that scraper or buy it
  13. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I had it made, I didn't know how to weld at the time. There is a guy in the area that comes out and fabs it on site, I think I paid around $250.

With some basic welding skills and a cutting torch, you could make it for $100 +or-. I'll be making my own for future plows now that I can weld.
  14. 01lariat

01lariat Member

In the past to it was more common to see smaller lighter weight plows. Times change,and your seeing 850lbs+ plows mounted on trucks. I think my 9.5' MVP is what, 1000lbs or so. It does a whole lot better than my 7.5" straight blade ever thought of doing.