1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Quality SR, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone applied salt/ sand mix before a storm? Early tomorrow morning we are going to get snow rain mix and with the cold ground lots can be a sheet of ice. They are calling for this at like 4-5am I leave for work a 8am.. I would like to put it down before but i don't know if anyone has done this... thanks in advance Rich

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

yes i do it allot most of my work is at night a hate plowing with cars in the lot and salting #ucking sucks with cars in the lot it's just ez pre treat good luck telling the customer that
    if it's not in the contract

3. Quality SR

It is in the contract....... you have done this before? I think i am going there now. thanks for your in put

4. Quality SR

It is just starting to flurry now with a change to rain later on tonight..

5. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Be careful because sometimes the rain is going to freeze over the top of it and your wasting your time.

6. Quality SR

Djc... won't the sand act as traction? Just asking, i am not sure

7. Quality SR

Anyone with advice please post............................. :help:

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I pre-apply straight salt all the time. Keep the snow from locking up to the pavement.
    Salted every thing last night, provides excellent traction because the salt stops the snow from freezing to the road, i looks snowy but there's grip underneath.

9. Quality SR

Thanks for the advice.. I didn't have to do it last night, I woke up every hour to see.... but nothing :dizzy: .. But ill remember that for the next time.

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

we always pretreat just have to be carefull . a few yr ago we jumped the gun and it didnt snow. had to eat that service

JOHN

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah I've done that, in the perfect world I finish as the snow starts heavy. Lots easier now then 20 years ago. they're not infallible but weather prediction as come along way.:waving:

12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We pre-salt all the time...payup

13. Quality SR

Thanks for your input guys.. One of my accounts is a nervous Nelly :cry: .. My contract says my trigger is 2", but if it is below 2" he said he wanted the mix applied and if there was some kind of event (it is a temple) he would call. My contract also says that anything below 2" will be done upon your authorization.
    The last 2 nights we had flurries and freezing rain. The ground has been real cold, so i was just asking if anyone pre-treats using salt/ sand mix.. I know people use salt to pre-treat. I don't know if anyone has read my past thread but this guy wants mix, not straight salt.. I tried to talk him in to it but he didn't want to go for it..
    Anyway the night i started this thread, we didn't get any precipitation, but last night we did and it stuck!!!!! :bluebounc ... I went there last night about 2 am and put some down on the main driveway. payup