1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bnc services 2, Jan 10, 2005.

1. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

so, heres a question for everyone. does anyone plow there street because the town is to slow? :cool: out by me and BNC are streets usally dont get plow for days after a storm. :gunsfiring: so we plow mine at least 3 times in one nite if were in the area and all the neibeirs always sit and watch us w/ there kids glued to the windows like suction cups.... :waving: its very funny to see........ :angel:
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Nope. My insurance does not cover municipal work. Besides, the streets around here are contracted out to a local company by the town. Would you plow someone else's account for free?
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Maine hires a lot of contractors for towns for some reason. Here in NH, not many do that. Massachusetts they do though.
  5. cc2004

cc2004 Member

If it's not ours we don't plow it.:nono:

It would be just my luck the trucks would break and my accounts(people that pay)would not get done.
  6. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

town roads

I do not plow the town roads as a rule for my residentials. BUT... the last storm a tree was drooping down over the road on the dead end circle of two of my customers. the town would not plow the street. I had plowed the drives through the storm and the customer asked me to plow the circle so they could get out. what was I supposed to do? I plowed it because my vehicle fit under the bent tree. the customer sent me my fee times two! some times it is not about doing something for nothing, this was about making my customers happy for an extra pass.
  7. cc2004

cc2004 Member

I would of done that too. :salute:
  8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I make one pass just so my neighbors can get in and out
  9. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I live on a dead end, so when the town comes the make one,maybe two passes and that's the it. So since I'm the last house on the street I'll do about two hundred feet of the road and widen it back to the grass on both sides. The only problem is when I don't do it my neighbor's complain but none of them have ever offered me any money when I do, do it. So it gets done when it gets done!
  10. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

Excuse Me

:rolleyes: If I did, then there maybe no equipment for my paying clients payup We have city trucks for our street.
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have several customers on dead end streets- the city plows only like to make a single pass in and a single pass out until the storm is ending so I usually end up plowing a portion of the street infront of and before their driveways to avoid the wonderful windrow on the return of the city trucks. I did plow 3 streets the other day just to wear down my edge a little...and see how far I could throw the snow. :rolleyes:
  12. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

No Pay No Plow
  13. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I live on the bottom of a small dead end road thats up a slight hill.The town is pretty slow to get here (over about 4 inches the town brings in a contractor)A lot of my neighbors get stuck trying to make it up the hill so i will plow a pass or two just so they dont get stuck and end up parking in front of my driveway. :)
  14. crashz

crashz Senior Member

My father used to do his street because the City was so slow to respond. But as his schedule would allow. He plowed it for years, until one disgruntled new neighbor called the City to complain, citing my fathers company name and complaining that it took to long to be serviced. He was called by the City and harrased for not plowing his route correctly. My father calmly told them that he was not contracted to plow the road and if the matter was pushed they would be invoiced for the work done. From then on, he hasn't dropped a plow on the road, and most neighbors can't get out of their driveways for days.
  15. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I live on a dead end and the town is slow getting down here. the top half of my street gets plow because there are a couple business there and they do it, especially since one is a small car dealer and he parks on the street while he does his lot. I usually do the bottom of our street since I am the last house and we use the street for parking when we have guests and stuff so I like it nice and wide.
  16. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I plow my street when ever it is not done and I am board :p
  17. jjdonovan

jjdonovan Member

Yes I plow my street

I live in western MASS.
    I also plow for my local town and I plow my street and the next side street, ( they are not my plow route) just so I can get out on to the main roads. I can tell you that it takes me all of about 1/2 hour to both streets...small residental streets.
    My neighbors love it and noone bitches too me when I have my equipment at my residental house.
    I think that it is about being a good neighbor! Life is not about how much money you can make!!Just my 2cents worth
  18. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Plowing municipal streets

Be real careful here if you're doing more than a small amount of work. There are legal and liability issues and you could possibly wind up being fined for performing municipal services without a legal contract. FYI a few years ago a neighborly feud ended up in someone plowing the other's driveway shut. The municipality went after them for some similar violation.
  19. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Well I live on a dead end street, I am the last house on the street , I also plow two other driveways (so thats 3 of the7 on my street), and my neighbor has a plow too(so thats 2 of the 4 left) I also plow the small parking lot at the top of the street. So I usually will plow the whole street. Being on a dead end street in a busy suburb usually means last on the list . I know the guy that does my street likes that i do it because he has told me so , it usually takes three passes to clean it and hes not allowed to back into any driveways , so its a pain. When i do it all he has to do is salt it. Just clearing up why we do my street. BNC 2"s street is the same way but not a dead end street. Its just last on the list to get done , if it gets done at all. And all the neighbors love us for it too..
  20. Jone43

Jone43 Member

My municipality is 45 square miles with alot of developements and main roads. Sometimes the side streets are left until the very end. When I get home if my side street is not plowed, I will drop my blade and blow out my street real quick. The neighbors seem to like it b/c when they are finished shoveling, the town does'nt come back and push all the snow back up on thier driveway apron.