1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone won a USPS bid for a local post office

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SMLCAT, Jan 27, 2012.

SMLCAT Member

The one in our area has put up a notice and i know the postmaster pretty well but have not contacted him yet.
    Any experience or pointers you can give me?
  2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

3. NickT

NickT Senior Member

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the local branches can sign their own contract.I have one that I get on and off all the time.
  5. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

We service two small post offices in our area. The bids are reviewed by several layers of Postal Management, but the best way to get the contract is speak directly to the postmaster of the office you looking to service. Also, they pay relatively quick, about 10-14 days after invoicing. Good Luck!!

FISHERBOY Senior Member

i'm still waiting to get paid from last lawn season, been getting the run around

I service 5 of them in my area. They were all individual accounts until this year they all went to seasonal. So far so good. The biggest thing that you have to keep in mind is that they start early in the morning so you have to stay on top of the sites.
  8. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I've been taking take care of the one in my area the last 5 years. They are kind of slow to pay but they pay always pay. Ours is on a large corner lot with a lot of steps so it takes some time to get it done. They like it to be kept clean with almost no snow at all on it so it makes it kind of nice. Some times we shovel it off and plow it 5 times a day if it snows all day.
  9. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

We service three. Face to face contact with each post master is key. To start we had one and after a couple storms last year the pm was impressed with the service and started talking to the other pm's in the area. We went to present the bid to them personally and met a couple times before being awarded the contract. They pay very well and usually within 10-14 days. Just have to stay on too of them as they will NOT tolarate any accumulation in certain areas on the property.
  10. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I plow the post office in town but its in a shopping center. They do start very early, some guys start showing up around 5am.
  11. grandview

Most need to get plowed out before 5am ,that's when they get the days mail trucked in.
  12. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I did landscaping for years at some P.O.'s but got cut with budget cuts when the economy took a dive. They will advertise on the corkboard usually for any service. They always go cheapest on anything when hiring a new contractor.
  13. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Its the government so I wouldnt touch it =D
  14. grandview

Technically yes ,but no also.They are independent of the govt.they have their own pension system and no handout from the govt.But I never had a problem being paid on time when I did work for them.
  15. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Put in a bid at the one near me for 5k... It went for $1500 whatever, ya win some ya loose some
  16. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

When I worked for my previous employer, we did three of them. They were all done by different trucks, FIRST. If you stay on top of them, they're happy.

I doubt your statement of lowest bidder is true, the man I worked for had a reputation of NOT being the cheapest, but our sites were almost always water long before the competition.
  17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I been doing 2 PO's since 2000. Best accounts I have.No shoveling, Excellent rates.I bill after each storm.They direct deposit right into my checking account.Last year there was a mix up with a lost invoice and they voluntarily added interest to the payment.The contract is handled by their contract department.If you do a good job and keep them happy you could be in for life.Three yr contract for me with a no bid renewal. Refused job at first but for some reason the PM kept bugging me to take it.Came in 200$ higher than the previous contractor(retired). I'm on my 4th Post Master and things are golden so far. With the financial situation with the PO might be on borrowed time though,contract up in 2014. I would pursue that contract aggressively payup
  18. bradlewislawnca

bradlewislawnca Member

I landed one this year. Have not plowed it once at all. The PM wanted service at 2 inches. I have not had 2 inches yet this year. So Its seasonal. first payment was due 11/1/11 and I got 3 payments on 1/10/12 nov dec and jan. Novembers came with interest for being past 30 days from invoice. That was cool.

I won the landscaping earlier in the year and I saw the sign that they wanted plowing. I just discussed it every time I went in to get my mail and he basically kept telling me a bunch of hacks and idiots were bidding. I knew I could charge my rate as long as it wasn't astronomical and I'd win.
  19. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Does it require a D&B # as a government bid ?
  20. Angelo585

Angelo585 Junior Member

We do 6 through USM.... Been a great experience, pay on time, price was good and no complaints about service!