1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used the rubber cutting edges for driveways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by new guy 79, Dec 29, 2009.

1. new guy 79

new guy 79 Junior Member

Has any one used the rubber cutting edges for driveways. Or would a backdrag blade work better. I'm only doing driveways ow and I seem to be skimming and leaving about 3/4 inch snow on drives. I've already removed theshoes and no difference. I have an older 7 foot 6 western plow . Do I just need a newcutting edge. What do you guys thnk?I'm new to the industry ad have alot of Questions I do't want to be the schmo who cuts everyone elses bids and doesa crap job.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Check to be sure you have slack in your chain when the plow is all the way down.

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Can't imagine that the rubber works very well for anything? I'm sure a back drag edge would help or sure couldn't hurt anything especially when the plow has no down pressure. It would have to be one seriously screwed up cutting edge or a very uneven driveway to be leaving 3/4" of snow with a 7'-6" plow. Maybe with a 9-10' plow like mine would be possible on some drives. Definitely check to make sure you have slack in your chain when the plow is fully down.Also make sure your plow is in the float position at the controller.

4. jmc

jmc Junior Member

Dont bother with rubber. I used to plow a property with a cobblestones drive, and we used rubber edges. There were two thickneses, 1" and 1 1/2". The thin one was useless, the thicker never worked well, but at least lasted over a year. It didnt scrape well when new, would wear to the crown of other roads and wouldnt sit flat, always needed adjustment or it would bend, and forget back draging. Never again.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Why use rubber? It doesn't cut as good as stell.
    Is your plow touching the ground on an uphill or an angle going into or out of the drive?

6. new guy 79

new guy 79 Junior Member

sorry may be I exagerated alittle. I'm leaving more like 3/8 inch on te driveways. I have my chain loose enough that when im pulling out ofthe drive forward my plow will hit the street before my tires and we have 3 or 4 inch drops from drive to street.

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Any edge should cut down to pavement if it hasn't beeen drove upon. If you have tracks from tires steel is better but heavy rubber gives the best cleaning if used before tracks are made.

8. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

It's a small plow, at 7' 6". The problem here is most likely weight. Due to the shape of the plow, much like this ) As you back up, the snow pushes up against the bottom and lifts the blade a small amount. You have two options. Put it in 4 low and back-drag slow enough that the snow cannot lift your plow. In large snowfalls or heavy wet falls that slowing down wont help that much. Or find a way to add just enough weight to take it down and keep it on the pavement. Even my 9'2" boss V-XT all steel weighing in around 8 or 9 hundred pounds will leave as much as an inch behind if I back-drag too fast. And I have a manual dually diesel, so fast in reverse is pretty darn slow to most other people. Try adding just 100lbs to it, that shouldn't overload your hydraulic system whatsoever. If that doesn't work, keep adding weight 25 at a time. If that doesn't work, buy a rear plow.

9. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

not sure if you've tried this but what seems to work very well with my back drag edge is plow forward towards the garage, raise the blade approx. 4ft from the garage door, drive forward (over the mound of snow you've created), lower the blade and drag backwards slowly. this all depends on the length of your driveway and the depth of snow fall. but so far, for 4in of wet, wet snow, and about 6in of the fluffy stuff, it has worked well.