1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone Used Nokian Vativas???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firstclasslawn, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Has anyone used the tire "Nokian Vativa"???? A ton of people are swearing by them for snow and dirt traction. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them ? Thanks guys

2. automd

automd Junior Member

i have them on my 2001 2500 suburban. 265-75-16 10 ply. best tire i've ever had on any of my trucks , by far. ride is smooth, not noisy, great in the snow.

3. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Never heard of them.

4. RolyF

RolyF Junior Member

I've been selling Nokias for about eight years. They are by far and away the best pure snow tire on the market. Most of us would be interested in their siped LT tires. They also have some great studded tires, four of which I had on the shop's Dodge SnoCommander for most of it's life.
    Take at look at http://www.nokiantyres.com/

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I just put a set on my '96 K1500 (P265/75R16) this fall. They are great. I looked at a lot of others before settling on the Nokians. They also make a full snow (similar tread pinned for studs).

6. The Snow Pros

The Snow Pros Junior Member
    from midwest

If they are by far the best snow tires on the market.... why ya runnin the Firestone Steeltex AT's ??? :confused: :confused:

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Good question? I love nokians too, I have them on the family car.... I don't run them just because I waiting to wear out my winter stock Bridgestones that I had siped. Having them siped made a huge difference!

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

A buddy of mine runs them on his trucks and loves them. He's getting more mileage out of them than I do out of Goodyears.

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I did price them about $160 each complete for 265-75-16's. they are pricey. You may want to check out the Cooper Discovery's, Lots of guys love them and the tread pattern is very similar. I heard they are made in USA too.:nod:

10. My price

I was told $611.16 for 4 265/75/16 E nokian vativa's.....They are actually 2 $ per tire cheaper than the comparable cooper (atr)....at least around here!!!!! And they are rated to last to 60,000 miles rather than the coopers 50,000

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Wow that is high.. I saw you signature about the tires you have... You may save some bucks and try having them siped I had it done ($60 bucks) and it made a huge difference, don't forget adding extra ballast will help too.

Good Luck

12. Well

Well, I wouldn't really be wasting because I am going to move the bridgestones to the 99's summer rims. The 99 needs new summer tires (i have snows for the winter) so if i move the bridgestones to the 99's summer set, then i can put nokian's on the 03 for year round. By the way....I have no problem spending extra money on the good tires. I cant stand a tire that gets bad traction!

13. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

wake up

kick me in the head if you must, but why don't you boys just buy an American brand? We don't need no more Jap tires sold here. And yeah, they're all Jap brands.

Dave

14. RolyF

RolyF Junior Member

Hey DaveOhio, Nokians are made in Nokia, Finland! But it gets real confusing nowadays about what an American company is. Volvo is owned by Ford, Saab is owned by GM! Are they foreign? Dodge is owned by MERCEDES! Is a GM pickup truck made in CANADA better than a Toyota Tundra made in the USA?
    Nothings simple anymore.

15. WHy you ask

Because they are the BEST.....ABSOLUTE BEST.....All season tire available! For snow and PAVEMENT driving....Not mud, or sand .....snow and pavement.....Hands down....the dealer I get tires from wont recomend any tire to a plow guys but this one or the cooper snow tire....but i want a year roudn tire...SORRY. I will make up for it by buying american trucks!!!!!

16. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

lol that would be the day I run all season tires on my plow truck :dizzy:

pro comp x terrain full siped tires none better hands down:waving:

17. HAVE YOU TRIED BOTH? THEN HOW DO YOU KNOW YOURS ARE SOO MUCH BETTER?

18. brad96z28

Well Most sane people do not run all season tires on a plow truck they either run an agressive tread or commercial traction tires. Well worth the money to have 2 sets of wheels and tires.An all season set or evers seaon except for winter. And to answer or obvious question no all season tire is going to campare to a siped tire in snow mud or slush.

19. brad96z28

To answer the question u asked me no I have never tried them.Nor any other all season tires.I can give u some input on the all terrain tires ive had. bridgestone mpt terrible. sigma stampede at good ,michelin m@s real good ,and real good all around tire If i where to choose a tire if i had to run year round it would be the michelin good in the snow and an excelent tire but pricey to say the least.

20. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The Nokina Vatiiva is not an all season tire it is an all terrain tire. It is extremely well rated on snow (yes thier hakapelitta pure snow and ice tire is rated higher still) and also rated for excellent wear. Just what I wanted for all around use.

Now as far as all season tires go most are not very good in snow. We have two Ford E-450 ambulances that are/were originally equipped with Michelin LTX all seasons all the way around. Frankly when I saw them I had concerns as our first winter approached. We called the local Michelin dealer and they said "those tires are great in snow". We ran them for the first 2 winters on that rig with no problems. The next year it need rears and got Goodyear winter tread tires. It is no better in the snow and much noisier in the back. If my maintenance budget can handle it this one will get the ALLL SEASON Michelins back on it for next winter. Morale of the story not all "all season" tires suck in snow.