1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used a pusher box on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mdirrigation, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I am wondering how well if at all one would work on a pickup . I have 1 large lot that I have to move snow a distance . I also have a 84 3//4 ton chevy with a big block thats a back up truck . I could leave this set up on site . Anybody ever done this ?

2. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

not yet but had a similar thought last year. If you do it let me know what size you put on and how it works out. i think it would be bad #ss for long runs.

3. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Not exactly a push box, but I have, and still do, use western plows with side wings to effectively convert them into pushers with the added benefit of being able to angle the "pusher" left to right as needed to get around corners, etc. I use them on 1 tons all the way down to a tiny Toyota Tacoma and they work great! That said, I would imagine an actual pusher would do the same. Just not sure if you'll be able to angle it. Hope the info helps. Good luck!

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I personally have not done this but a contractor I use to work for did it to 2 of his 10' LEO's. They do work good in the correct application. You also have to have a regular blade working with it. As far as angleing they are not as effective as being used to bulk push.
    One down side is that traveling down the road they do seem to make a truck a little hotter than a regular blade.

5. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

This is true, there will be more drag as a result of wind being captured in the pusher. At highway speeds I need to lower my blade a bit to allow more air to get to the radiator.

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

We don't use a traditional pusher, but put box ends on an 8' Arctic, because we needed to do the distance thingy...

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Couple other things came to mind after reading other posts here.
    1. I would use pins rather than bolts as the contractor I worked for did. He also added a brace from the center of the side wing to the plow for extra strength.
    2. The plow has a tendency to ride up over the snow when full or snow conditions are to much for it.
    3. Snow will stick to the inside area of the "box" and if you hit a bump it may come out and leave a mess.