1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried Soda blasting or used a soda blaster?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chicagofella, Mar 30, 2011.

1. chicagofella

chicagofella Junior Member
    from chicago

Has anyone used a soda blaster to take off the rust off their plows? I just bought a soda blaster a 15ib one, but I have not yet tried it. I know the benefits of using baking soda is that its more green and nontoxic compared to using sand. Is a 15ib soda blasting big enough to do a 8 ' plow. also 50ib bag of baking soda costs $40, will it be enough to take off all the rust of a plow?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure. But they did use one on American Restorations ,they used it on softer metal ,so I don't know how it will work on heavy rust.

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Subscribed...I gotta line on 20 unimounts and was thinking of putting my mechanic onto cleanup and restoration of them during the summer but have no clue about sandblasting.

4. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Soda blasting won't work on rust unless it's just light surface rust. It's too soft of a material. It's baking soda. It has its place but heavy rust isn't one of them. Put it to you this way. It will take the paint off a pepsi can and won't damage the aluminum.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

learn something new everyday...thanks

6. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

I just bought a sand blaster from my local auto part's store $ 299.00 90 lbs. It's a pressurized ground feed tank and took off all the loose rust like nothing tipped the plow over and did under neath, look's like brand new was worth evey penny will get my use out of this blaster.

7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMle0AeQ8ME A video of the soda can. Their are so many different media (materials) you can blast with. Crushed glass, coal slag, crushed walnut shells, sand, crushed corn cob shells, baking soda, dry ice, etc. I think dry ice is the coolest because it disappears on contact. No matter what you use, don't breathe it and use all the safety gear.

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

don't overlook the power of the compressor you plan to use to run the blaster. the blaster will state the required CFM to run it. your compressor needs to output AT LEAST this minumum rating.

9. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

You also need to clean the object after you soda blast it. You will have issues getting paint to stick if you don't.