1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried electric fans?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 9, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a dual electric fan kit for my 1996 Chevy truck with a 5.7L V8. These fans will replace the mechanical one. I'm thinking that they will help increase power, as well as keep the engine a more consistant temperature while plowing. Anyone else tried this?
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

My big worry with running electric fans is that we're already drawing max output from our trucks electic systems as it is. Never had any overheating problems with the mechanical fans, so I've never been tempted to go electric anyhow. By the way, we had the alternator on our K2500 hotrodded so that it puts out 140 amps just off idle, that sucker keeps up with the current draw now!
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a 200-amp alternator from Powermaster... so needless to say, I'm not too worried about current limitations. I'm not so much worried about overheating, I just don't like the fact that the engine fan is fully engaged while driving with the plow up. It eats up so much horsepower. The other thing I thought of was that with the electric fans, the one on the passenger side will be constantly pulling cool air through my trans cooler as well... which is a DEFINATE plus!
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Your engine fan is fully engaged when driving with the plow up because it needs it!You blocked all the airflow to the radiator, there is a thermal sensor on the end of the clutch fan,it senses engine temp thru the shaft on the water pump,it is doing its job,if you take it off,it will overheat.Electric fans belong on cars,or trucks that do not tow,haul or plow.Your 2 electric fans wont pull 1/6 the air that the clutch fan will,and the cluch fan is disengaged about 95% of the time,so you wont get a power increase either.Keep your stock setup-if electric was better or cooled better GM would've put them on from the factry a long time ago-only on cars.The draw on both fans is about 20 amps depending on size,your 200amp alternator puts out about 50-60amps at idle,so when idling with everything on,you will be lucky if its not discharging.My truck has over a 50 amp draw when plowing without electric fans and without the plow pump.I have running when plowing-lights,beacon,blower motor,windshield wiper motor,ECM,fuel pump,A/C compressor,for defrost,as well as my cell phone,radio,aux backup lights,and sander controls.This is before you even use the plow pump.
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The stock fan is always turning, pulling air thru the radiator although at less than engine speed until the clutch engages.

get a clutch for motorhome application if u want to, but I believe electric fan will cause more problems than it will sove.