1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone thought of jumping ship?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by icudoucme, Dec 16, 2009.

1. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

My family and I have been loyal GM buyers and product believers. My dad bought a ford once and swore he never would again.

Currently as personal vehicles (between brothers and sister mom and dad) we have a 00' suburban 1500, 96 Buick park ave, 04 2500HD silverado, 06' 2500hd duramax, 06 cobalt, 1961 Corvette, and 87 cutlass cierra. We have owned all the vehicle (except the vette dad got that as a life long hobby) since new and the cost of owner ship has been very low, GM/chevy customer service and vehicle service has been awesome.

My only problem now is that they are owned by the government. That pissed me off. I think GMAC is mostly owned by the government too if i've done my research correctly? I really don't think I would buy another Chevy/GM product as long as the government has final say in that company. I would much rather support Ford. I

Do you think I'm nuts? Does the fact that the Federal Government owns most of GM affect what you buy?
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

My experience with GM products hasnt been positive. In 2000 we bought a 2500 sb ext cab 4x4, and a F250 sb ext cab 4x4, guess which one is still alive. I also own an 05 Tahoe-biggest POS I have ever bought. I will never own another GM product again. JMO.
  3. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

You should have jumped ship along time ago, the CEO did. Whats that tell ya? Oh and did I mention Ford turned a profit in the last quarter, WITHOUT a dime of MY tax dollars.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Come join the Ford Family!
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Has the thought ever crossed my mind?....sure- but then I remembered that I know a lot of people who have had BAD experiences with ford trucks, and so I decided I'll stick with my GMCwesport
  6. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I have a 98 F-250 light duty with 112,000 miles on it and it runs better then my moms 2000buick park avenue with 60,000 on it. And my truck was neglected for the 1st 94,000 miles it had on it (thats when I bought the truck)
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Didn't I just see on the news yesterday that GM has already REPAYED the loan the government gave them?

Not sure whats with your Park Ave, we have a 2000 LeSabre since new with about 130000 km on it that still runs like new. Its had a power window motor replaced in the drivers door (bad spot on the armature) and the cruise control switch, otherwise flawless. Couldn't ask for a better car.
  8. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I don't care a bit that the government is involved. I'm more concerned that they are building reliable vehicles that will make it for the long haul. I have always owned GM vehicles and they've treated me good. My next vehicle will be a GM product. Go Chevy Volt!
  9. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

I felt the same way until I learned Ford got about 500 million from the US Gov't to help develop an electric car. I know it's a loan for a different reason but it's still our money.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The CEO was fired by president obama. Can anyone explain how that happened?

What does a company's quarterly profit have to do with the product they produce?

I'm not an expert, but I think they repayed a cash loan. The gov't still owns a bazillion shares of stock.
  11. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

If only you knew. Had the Gov't not bailed out the banks ford would be with the right there with GM.

Ford was lucky(smart?) enough to mortgage all (and I mean all their property) before no one could get a loan. Had to Gov't not bailed out the banks (and ford's borrowed money) They would have been in banruptcy too.

Lets not forget the $500 Million they took to develop a new car. I guess its up to the tax payer to pay for R&D at Ford
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I jumped that ship 10 years ago and have never looked back.

ps Buck Ofama :yow!:
  13. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Do regular Maintenance and most will last ... No matter who makes them....

I read so many post where people are having problems ,and most often it's lack of maintenance....

I'll stick with CHEVY/GM ...
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  14. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

The GM.. :laughing:
  15. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

25 years of gm trucks here. No complaints.
  16. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Wrong! :drinkup:
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you've had good luck with GM stay with them. The low cost of ownership is why we run John Deere and GMC trucks. Our dealer also makes our decision easier because Frost Pontiac in Brampton could not treat us any better.
  18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a hard-core Chevy diehard fan, but I can't say as I'm crazy about some things their doing now. It's been about 8 years since they made a new truck I really liked the look of. But, here's my plan: I just keep rebuilding the one I got, I like it and it does everything I need it to do. I spend much less on repairs every month than I would on a payment.
    Secondly, I just bought an 82 3+3. I am restoring it into the truck I want. 454 automatic, 205 case, Dana 60 front axle, 14 bolt Corporate rear. Parts are dirt cheap and it's easy and fun to work on. When my truck is finished, painted and looking exactly how I want, you tell me which truck will garner more compliments at the gas station (where I'll be often:>), my old hoss or a 2010 3500hd?
  19. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I like my 2000 Silverado, but I have zero brand loyalty...its not a concept I can wrap my head around...why would you buy a car or truck jsut because its made by Ford or GM? Doesn't make a bit of sense to me. Every purchase I analyze the products I can afford and choose the one that will best meet my needs, availability, pricing and general reliability data are big factors in the decision...condition of the product obviously also a major consideration. If I wasn;t looking for the larger back seat in the extended cab (because I just didn't want a crew cab), then I might have bought a Ford, but the GM/Chevy EC trucks have about an 8 inch advantage int he back seat and I carry 2 passengers often enough that it was a major consideration. I don't care one bit that its a Chevy, Ford and Dodge make fine trucks too and they'll stay fine if you take care of them properly.

The next truck i buy may or may not be a GM product...won't know what I'm getting till I figure out what I need it to do for me. Maybe my next truck will be a 1/4 ton compact and I'll save some gas.
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

One advantage of being loyal is that you get used to them. Once you know what the common problems and repairs are, you can take care of them, and do them faster. And spare parts interchangeability (is that a word LOL). This is more important if you run an older fleet, like me. I have four trucks right now. All 350s. Two TBI, two vortecs. Three are GMT400, One is an 81.