1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone seen winter???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Jan 24, 2002.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Here in northern Illinois, I think our annual average snowfall is around 38". So far this season... we've had about 3". It's the end of January!!! I sure hope February brings some more... otherwise I may be trading in the plow for a boat.

2. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

If it continues on, it may be a good year to pick up some "new" equipment. Decent snowfall last year, so a bunch of guys went out and bought new trucks / plows etc. banking on making the money during the winter. At this rate, we should be seeing some equipment coming on the market anytime now.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It was over 50 degrees here today and rain:(

4. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

SlimJimZ71,
    If you get the boat, let me know. Perhaps we'll go fishing. Mother nature knows I've got nothing better to do!

Matt

P.S. I've been out 5 times, but my area averages aroung 80"/yr.
    By this time last year we had 2 feet of snow on the ground.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

If we don't get snow soon, and often, I will have to get me a monkey and tin cup and go to down town Chicago in order to pay the bills. :(

Jay

6. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Sorry still snowing around here, 5" right now. Probably 50-60" since Christmas.

I notice the same about the light used equipment for sale. The rest of the province don't have snow. I saw few bargain but i think march and april will be better for that, because right now they need to keep it just "to feel more secure", but a lot of them will need cash for summer start up.

They even try to get money from government...( for the City sub and dump truck since they are paid per event), but gov said NO.

But they plan big road project for this summer......to keep them busy, and if you had never try our road.....I think most of you will be affraid to drop your blade on it. ( don't carry your coffee mug full..

7. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Winter*&$@#?!

I thought it was April around here. Seems like spring thaw with the soft grass, 40 degree temps & rain. The snow just doesn't seem to stay around for long these days. Been out to plow a whooping 3 times so far, total of 16"! Guess we're about 1/3 of the way for a normal seasons worth of snow. Well, at least we still have February & March to look forward to, hey, maybe even an April storm? I remember building an Easter snow man back in the 80's one year.

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

we wont be the only ones hurting if this continues. we seriously need precipitation and if we dont get some before spring, im sure mandatory watering bans will go into effect. if that happens, the grass wont grow either and now all the landscaping industry is affected. hopefully february and march will be blockbuster months for snow.

9. SlimJim Z71

I didn't think of it in that aspect. With only having our 3" of snow so far, I could definately see a watering ban for our area.

I just looked at Intellicast, and it looks like it's going to be up in the 50's for the weekend, and then start gettin colder on Wednesday. RIGHT! Like their forecasts are EVER right...

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Around here, everybody is on private wells. We were already dry from the summer. Well diggers have been very busy lately. We need above average snowfall for the water level to build back up next spring. I'm glad I had my well dug to below bedrock when I built the house. It's fed by an underground stream that feeds a large lake and will be the last thing to dry up. Anybody with a shallow well is hurting.

11. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

We had a 1" storm, the 6" storm i plowed, then 2" of snow the next day (monday). Our average is around 30", so we're like 1/3 there. I remember years like this, then in feb/march we got some big storms.

Not to go off topic but having per push and seasonals is good instead on relying on one to make money. In years like this, seasonals shine, but when you have record breaking snowfalls, the per pushs will cover your butts. Just something to consider. Don't throw the towel in yet.

Bryan

12. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Hey Slim,
    Models are showing teens AND snow for Wed. Thurs. next week. Are you holding your breath yet cause I'm NOT.
    Shady Brook,
    Stay off of MY corner:D

13. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

Hey Slim Jim !

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. This time last year we had already been out 22 times. I'm not going to panic yet. As a matter of fact I'm going out to buy a new spreader and remote this next weekend. It will get here!

In like a lamb out like a lion !!

Thats my prediction.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2002
  14. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We have seen winter. We didn't do hardly anything in December but so far in Jauary we have plowed 9 times and we have snow forcast every day for the next 5 days so we should hit 15 times in January. Last year we plowed 4 times in January. We have had about 50" of snow so far this month and we expect another 15 to20 over the next few days.

15. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I've seen winter too. It was a beutiful picture on a calendar with little deer fawns and pine trees and rolling white fluffy hillsides. It was so beutiful I just wanted to take a plow in there and MAKE SOME MONEY!!!!

LOL

Bruce

16. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Speaking of Winter

Just wondering how much snow is left in Buffalo?

17. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

Yes,as a matter of fact i did see him , he said he is tired and goin home, said spring is going to fill in for him until june 22nd. I think he'll be back sooner than he thinks, i gotta meeting w/ mutha nature .

Last edited: Jan 26, 2002
  18. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Slim-Jim: I have stopped watching the weather channel after two months of constant veiwing. Two days after I stopped watching, they are predicting a decent snow storm coming our way. If this storm missing us, I will be the beer on the fishing trip.
    CGB

19. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

YES

And it won't stop! Over 30 inches and 90 hours in the truck this week. Here's a picture of the Dodge in front of some piles at a school we plow( 5 snow days out of 17 school days this month), yes the Dodge piled it. Sun came out today and with a little Magic black pavement. No down time but had to replace a pump motor ( 5 years old).

Bill

picture 007.jpg

20. SlimJim Z71

Hmmm.... I heard on the news, dare I say it... nah, I'm not going to risk it.

But I will say this. I washed, cleaned out, buffed (yes BUFFED... man does it look nice!!!), and put paint shield on my truck today in hopes of triggering a MASSIVE storm. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2002