1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

has anyone seen the snowpile or the loader...thought it was over there...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1olddogtwo, Mar 9, 2010.

1. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

wow i wonder whom will be at falt on this one? skid steer operator for stacking the snow? or the property owner for a poorly built or maint structure?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

These guys that plow parking ramps need to remember that you can't park all the snow in one spot to save time.
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Same thing happened by me a few years ago at our largest mall.Point load of snow on a 1 level parking garage.Luckily nobody got hurt here either.
  5. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

I plow parking decks and always worry about this. Another reason to convince your customers that you NEED to remove the snow off of the decks regularly.
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a nice New Holland took a spill.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I thought we removed all of it a few weeks ago,lol. When we left there a couple weeks ago they still had tons of snow left.
  8. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Seems kinda strange a parking ramp collapsed with just a skid and a skid stacked pile on it. I guess never plowed or built a parking ramp though.
  9. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Precisely--copy this article and include it with your quotes.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Oops, that's going to be expensive. As far as weight, say that was a 30x30 area (which it looked bigger) they were stacking snow if it was 5 feet deep that would be 166yrds. If it was wet heavy crap that would EASILY be over 100ton. Say 6 diesel pickups were parked in that same area it would only be 24ton max. I hope the contractor has good insurance
  11. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Those parking garages are design for cars. That was a precast structure and they had precast double tees for the floor, with all the weight of the snow they probably broke in two. I wonder where the pre-tension cable ended up after the concrete broke up. I was in a parking garage in town and they pushed all the snow against the exterior spandrels. Wait till they push a little to hard and watch one fall off the building