1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

has anyone plowed with the new gas engine from ford yet ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to plow with their new ford's yet.

I'll be buying the f 250,extended cab, long box, snow package equipped, 6.2 gas engine.

Just wondering if theres any comments or things things I should look for.
    fuel mileage??
  2. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

haven 't plowed with it yet, but mileage SUCKS!
  3. Sealer People

Hi, Deere, thanks for the reply. Im surprised that you mention the mileage sucks.
    Im in Canada where things are in kilometers & Im being told 600 - 650 kms per tank full which converts to about 400 miles per tank (U.S).

Does that sound about right ?

Im thinking that what Im told is not with the plow on & not salting & probably not in 4x4. But it was with the 6.2 ltr gas engine.

I just converted kms to miles.
    I own a 1996 chevy diesel 4x4, 2500, Just did the injection pump on it. On a full tank of fuel in these winter months (with the plow on & 6.5 ft poly salter on the back) Im averaging about 280 miles per tank.
    Thats about 450 kilometers per tank full & thats only using 4x4 when I need it !!!

Even though the numbers on your ford might suck,, Im almost thinking that they should better be better than on my truck lol.

4. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

They have had issues with the electrical circuits even with there so called "plow package", pops from the nav/stereo setup and brown out of the lights when the western plow is engaged. not sure if this is only with westerns but I believe it is due to having only 1 650 amp battery. After 25 odd years of plowing dual 850's or better are the only way to go. Our f350 sw are all diesels which come stock with dual batteries and the nav stereo system and have never had an issue yet.
  5. 01lariat

01lariat Member

With higher transmission gearing in 5th and now sixth, plus less torque than the 3v V10, I'd be sure to opt for 4.30 gearing for the axle ratio. I'd expect the fuel mileage isn't that great, but at least it should pull and or push something.
  6. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

miles (km) per tank tells me nothing.
    Different size tanks on different trucks.
    The computer in the truck says it gets 11mpg. That is while pulling a trailer on occasion, but still sucks.
  7. Sealer People

I think Im going to just stick with a newer chevy. 2007 - 2008 diesel.

Its a decent truck, I own 2 older ones with the 6.5's... decent amount of power.

I also like the dodge ram, but dont know much about them. They have the 6.7 diesel now,
    not sure what people are saying about that motor now.
  8. jpickett

jpickett Junior Member
    from ky

Got the new 6.7. Plowed with a 8' snoway. 18.6 mpg while plowing. 22-24.8 mpg when not plowing. I know alotta folks who have the new gassers and are looking at trading in for the 6.7