1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone made money Roof Raking?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bill8379, Dec 9, 2007.

1. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central

I bought a cheap Roof Rake and plan to put an ad in for roof top snow removal. I'm only going to do 1 story houses but anyone ever get this kind of work? any advice?

If you are familar with this work, would you recommend a more expensive roof rake, perhaps like this one. http://www.snowcutter.com/

2. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

Get a ladder a snow scoop and a rope. Then go do big buildings. I would think there would be a uch greater call for a guy like that than a single story guy only.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Raking a roof?? We use a propane torch and melt them off

4. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yes, ive often pondered about doing it in the winters but then i talked with my insurance agent:cry:

6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Not a bad idea, but the potential to do damage to homes is there. If one of my residentials wanted me to do it, I probably would, but would also explain to them that I couldn't be responsible for pulled down gutters etc. I also wouldn't be up on a ladder doing this....but Im an old guy.

7. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I spend a lot of time on roofs shoveling snow after storms here at work. We have six large, old buildings that need to be cleared regularly. We use regular snow rakes and large snow scoops. I have not used the Snow Cutter but it looks like it will be much more efficient than a regular snow rake. It's triple the cost though. I will think about buying one the next time we break one of ours.

As far as the work itself, you have to expect to fall at some time. Try not to do it on the first storm or over a paved driveway. It is also very tiring work since you have to move heavy loads while keeping your balance at the same time. I will plow out a storm and then wait a day or two, hoping for some warmer weather before shoveling. Also, if there is a smaller storm than might not need to be shoveled, it is a good idea to go and at least rake the eaves so that as the snow melts, it won't dam up. Makes it a lot easier to deal with the next time.

8. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I usually roof rake the apartment building I live in (owned by my Dad), because if I don't, and water leaks, I refuse to go up on the roof and shovel. My Dad however will, and he's not young anymore, and he's been stuck up there a couple times, and I had to throw some sand up there for him.

My neighbor has a two story apartment building with a slate roof and he has young kids go up there and clean it for him. :dizzy:

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Way too much liability for me to even fathom the idea....:dizzy:

10. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Here is a picture of one of our buildings from two winters ago. The eave on the roof is 8' off of the parking lot. After we cleared from this storm, we had to start shoveling the top of the pile before we could shovel the roof. That was February 2005.

Winter 04-05 019 (Medium).jpg

11. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central