1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone Installed the new cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mebes, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

That is designed to eliminate the "snow catcher" in the center of the V blades.
    It's curled in in the center to eliminate the Hoof, and it also has a curl on the outside of the blade for curb guard.

Just saw them at the dealer last week and wondered if anyone had bought them yet.

2. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have seen them but haven't bought any. How much are they?

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

do you mean that really annoying rubber center shoe that has a tendancy to rip off? if so i might be getting some new cutting edges sooner than i tought. is there any info on bosses site?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I called the the Boss dealer for new cutting edge for my Vplow.
    regular edge was 165.00+tax
    those new edges were 270+tax
    I have the 8.2

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Bump to the top.

Anyone else seen these installed?

6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I thought that 80 dollars each was bad for my 8'2" v plows. There is no way that I wll pay that much. I'll go to my local welder buddy and see what he can do from a picture. He made me my last set of edges for my 8'2" for 40.00 each. I'll see how they hold up next to the OEM equiptment that I bought from my Boss Dealer.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

This is something BOSS should offer free of charge to those having problems with the hoof.

Should be a recall/TSB type of thing.

Anyone feel the same way?

8. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Guys when you price the new cutting edges remember not only are you replacing the cutting edges but the center shoe and adding curb guards
    add it up and they are cheaper.The next problem they are on national back-order, the company that boss hired to produce these edges ran behind in production and the first seasonal orders aren't even out yet,so you will probably have to wait. They will be standard equipment next year,also installing them does involve trimming the plow blades,therefore I'm going to see how they hold up for other people first. Once you trim for them you are commited to them. As far as fabricating them yourself,bending metal makes it brittle,the steel used for the blades is bent prior to the hardening process so they should last.

9. 04superduty

what do you need to trim? toward the center of the plow or the sides?

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

FYI and FWIW, we bought our steel edges for our Boss' from a local fab shop. Cheaper and they were 3/4" vs. 1/2" or 5/8". We started getting 1 full season out of our edges as opposed to half a season.

He also made curb guards, welded ones, 'bent' ones as well as welding tabs on the center just like Boss is doing now except theirs is part of the edge.

$270 is way out of line. Find a decent fab shop or blacksmith and he will be able to make up something comparable or better, cheaper.

Also, if done the proper way, metal can be bent without making it brittle, just need to know how to do it. The only reason he started welding curb guards is it's a tad difficult to bend a 3/4" piece of steel.

And yes, you guys are correct, the first set of these ought to be free to all Boss owners after the crap with the center shoe\hoof. Can't believe it took them this long to figure it out. We've been doing it for almost 15 years.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  11. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

As I said. I have a buddy that is a welder and we can screw up a lot before we're into $270 very hard. I think that the idea is great and wish that I would have been the one to think of it first. I wouldn't be plowing snow in the winter, I'd be tipping a cool one on some island with sweetthings running around on the beach.

12. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

1 last bump to the top.

Still haven't heard from anyone who has actually installed these scrapers on their blade.

13. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

My Boss dealer told me $133.00 each. They have 60 in stock. I will probably pick up a set tomorow.

14. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm bumping this back to the top.

I was at a large"R" Boss dealer here in MN today, probably not one that Butler L & S was at, but one much comparable.

They have the edges in stock and I'll be getting a set next week sometime.

The guy that I deal with, small timer close to home, is willing to put them on for me for free, because I bounce ideas off of him and he uses my truck for guinea pig ideas.

Basically we both want to see how these all work out.

Next week I'll have some pictures of them installed for you all.

15. 04superduty

my local dealer has 2 8.2 ft and 1 9.2 ft is stock for now. the 8.2 is 170 per side, and he wasnt sure yet exactly how much the 9.2 was. since my edges are still good i think i will wait a little while longer. he did say that the steel is stronger and is suppose to last longer. also, it is suppose to take abuse better without breaking.