1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone in Central New York signed up for this?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Snoviper, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

It appears to be a mobile app a company is testing here in Central New York. Looks like it might be a good idea. I am just not sure how it works for liability and billing. I guess it is basically an on call sub contracting. Nice thing it appears to give you jobs close to were you currently are and allows you to accept the job if you have the time.

http://www.plowz.com/

2. Steiner

Steiner Junior Member

Hmmm

I was wondering if anyone tried it yet too?

I keep getting emails from them..

-chris

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

There was a blurb about them in the Post Standard today. Said it was a plow on demand service starting at $25. My guess is they'll end up with alot of calls and not enough plows. Sounds like a good concept - plows on demand - but it may be a nightmare to make it work smoothly.

4. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I checked it out... I don't care for the wording of their contract... No go for me

5. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I rather continue what im currently doing. Plowing my own contracts.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

At $25.00 a push they probably pay the contractor 60-70% of it.
    The way it presented itself to me was it's like Amazon but for plowing, good concept but I see it as having the potentail for problems and paying like a national but for Resi's.

7. robjets

robjets Member

Yea, nothings more fun than going to a drive you have never seen before and trying to plow. Good way to do some damage. any company that has the time to be on call for this is just starting out or is so bad they can't get there own accounts

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly!!!

9. tonygreek

tonygreek Junior Member

It's not Amazon, but it is exactly the model and implementation of the rapidly growing car service, Uber. Where Uber uses "surge pricing" to pump the prices up during peak times (a busy Saturday night, New Year's Eve, etc)...I mean "to ensure the availability of cars by getting more drivers out", Plowz seems to be upping their prices during heavy snowfalls.

There are a ton of companies rushing to position themselves as "The Uber of [industry]", I'm just not seeing any doing a great job of achieving those lofty goals.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  10. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Good and Bad - Seems like a nightmare of scheduling and pissing some people off with the backlog during a storm like, say, Nemo. So, I'm paying an employee, Truck Insurance, GL Insurance, Gas, for something like what? $17 bucks? And yes, I see they will charge more for "High Demand Times!" This guy came up with a model - it's a beta test - he may hit a home run, but there will be some serious growing pains when supply quickly outruns the demand!

11. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

oops...or when the demand outruns the supply? haha