1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here tried to plow with a 99-03ish 4 cyl Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by jimbo69ny, Apr 8, 2007.

1. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Junior Member
    from Ithaca

I own two rental properties and I am looking for a small truck that can handle plowing if I need it to. I found a great deal on a 4wd 4cyl reg cab Tacoma in town and I was wondering if it could handle some plowing. I assume that a 6 cyl would be best but they are so hard to find and they cost so much more.

Please let me know of your experiences.

Thanks
    Jim

and ps if you are only going to flame and say how your daddy and your daddy's only ever used (insert name of domestic brand truck maker) for plowing and (company name) is the best bla bla bla. Don't bother responding. Toyota's are here to stay and I need productive answers not mindless rants.

2. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

Which 4 cyl ?? I've heard the newer 2.7 L 4 cyl has just as much torque as the older 3.0 L V6, which I used for 12 years without a problem. So if that's the engine you are considering, I'd say you should be okay.

If you like Toyota trucks, you should check out this forum site:

www.yotatech.com

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. yakima

yakima Junior Member
    from maine

Jim, I have used a 99 tacoma 4 cyl, 2.7l, for 2 winters now and it does a great job! I plow only my own driveway, but it is almost 1000 feet long on a steep hill, with a 90 degree turn at the top, and this truck has never let me down. In fact, we had a 15 inch snowfall just last week and I had no problems. I went out once in the middle of the storm and again at the end. I previously used 2 different full-size plow trucks and have found that the tacoma is easier to maneuver in tight spots and can push the snow just as well for my needs. Good luck! Jen

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The 4cyls do fine. I plow and run a spreader on a 92 with a 2.4 and it will move along fine loaded and push a 7ft Fisher no problem. I have a 3.4 in my Tacoma which is my daily driver, appointment vehicle. I have a Fisher mounted on it but have only plowed my driveway once, it is mostly a spare. I found the V6 is so peppy that it actually breaks loose quite easily. This may be helped with more weight.

Neither will clear a parking lot like my Dump with a 9ft blade but they have there place doing driveways, small condo access roads etc.