1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone heard anything?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

I was just curious if anyone heard anything for this up coming winter for the NE. I know its early. The only thing Ive heard is the farmers are saying its gonna be mild, I hope not.
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Well except for the recent heat, it has been a pretty mild summer with a lot of rain. Maybe we will continue into the winter.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I heard from a guy that does tree work he used an old tell tail sign of pine cones in trees for the past 25 years and been right on. The more pine cones the bigger the winter has to do with something in the trees. He said he has never seen so many pine cones in his life in the trees he has been in. Now I can't say it is proven or not but that is what I heard. I am preparing for a large one and if it comes short ohh well.
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I've never heard of it, but there sure is a lot of pine cones around me this year...
  5. northwest lawn

northwest lawn Junior Member
    from toledo

my dad claims that the hotter the summer the more snow we will get...says its the seasons with the most snow have had really hot summers idunno though
  6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i've heard something similar. my boss last year was saying (and he was right) that we wouldn't get much snow becuase there wasn't many acorns in the oaks.
  7. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Nature takes care of itself. If there are more fruits, berries, pine cones on the trees the more snow we will get. If you see alot of stuff on the tops of the trees that is a pretty good sign of a harsh winter. Those are the only signs that I know of.
  8. northwest lawn

northwest lawn Junior Member
    from toledo

i have also heard the acord deal with the oaks