1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone heard anything about the "X-Blade" from fisher?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Loni1113, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

I am considering getting the X-Blade from Fisher. I am thinking of the stainless steel version. Does anyone have one? Has anyone heard the pros/cons of it?

2. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

last year i was looking at the fisher X-blade. i was told it is heavier then the regular HD and thats about it. Im sure some one on here will be of more help.

3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

My buddy has a 9' on his 550, blade is heavy you hear that blade drop with the windows up and radio on. Scrapes an back drags very well because of the straighter angle of the cutting edge. Down fall all the bracing in the back is steel and on his where the cross supports on the back of the blade touch the SS he now has rust marks he can't get off the SS.

4. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

personaly i think your better off with an HD or spend a few more bucks and get a V.

5. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

everyone i know that has one loves it. scrapes good, backdrags fairly well. Its a nice plow, and im hoping i can get into one for next year possibly

6. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

Even better get an Xtreme V......best of both worlds!

7. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

I have a 2008 Tundra I am putting the xblade on. The dealer said the recommended blade is a 7'6" HD. But said the X-blade will go on no problem. What do you think? there is about 80 lbs difference in the HD and the X blade. Can I put the X blade on without problems? And I know most people on here aren't Toyota fans, but I already have the Tundra so it is what I am going to use (not to mention, my wife won't let me get another truck, lol)

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I run X-Blades now, and have for a while. I would never buy anything else. In terms of the Tundra....Ive never seen one around here with any plow on it. Talk to a few Fisher Installers......not your truck salesmen who just wants to sell you a truck, than doesnt care what happens

9. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

The guy telling me to put the X blade on is a Fisher salesman. I already own the Tundra. Sorry in the last post I said dealer and should have said "the Fisher sales rep". I just wasn't sure if my truck could handle the extra weight of the X-blade compared to the weight of the HD. But the Fisher rep seems to think it isn't a problem as long as I ballast out the back. He said it also helps that my truck has a 3 inch lift on it.

10. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Go for it and then make sure you put some pictures up for us! xysport As long as you put weight in the bed of your truck to help offset the blade weight, i would imagine it will be alright assuming your plowing with all your buddies in the cab with you:dizzy: I would recommend Timbrens for your front end, but with a 3 inch lift kit i dont think they would do anything at all. Good luck!

11. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

well here is a pick of my Tundra before the plow. I should be getting the plow on this month. I will put pics up as soon as I get them.

tundra.jpg

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The recommended blade for that truck is not a HD it's an SD. The HD is too much plow, The X blade will kill your truck.

http://www.fishersnowplows.com/modeldetail.asp?model=sd

http://www.fishersnowplows.com/ematch/bladeinfo.asp

13. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed. The largest Fisher recommended plow for your truck weight in at approx 500-530lbs. A 7.5 X-blade will be OVER 200 lbs heavier than that.

Must be one heck of a dealer to accept that kind of liability. wesport

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get an 8' you have a 5.7 in that truck it's practicly a 3/4 ton. When you put a plow on it let me know how well it plows I've beebn looking at the Tundras.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ROFLMFAO:yow!:

17. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Its not about the motor but rather the frame/suspension. Warranty wont cover any damage caused by putting an XBlade or an 8 footer on the Tundra. If you need a truck with 3/4 ton capabilites, buy a 3/4 ton. Id stick with a lighter duty plow on a Tundra though. Just my opinion

18. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

If this is the case then he hasn't set the drop speed to what he wants. I'm guessing he purchased it from a dealer and they or he never bothered to do this.

The drop speed is completely adjustable by a spool valve that is behind the pump (on the x-blade pumps), it is adjusted with an allen key. You do not have to adjust the screw much to slowdown/speed up the drop speed.

The procedure for this is also in the installation section of the manual. You can literally slow the blade down so much that is will just coast to the ground and barely make a sound.

19. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

After going to the Fisher website, they give 3 plow options. all 7.5's. one is the homesteader, one is the SD, and the other is the HD. My tundra is a DX with a 5.7l 6.5 box.

Homesteader weighs = 250 lbs.
    The SD weighs = 487 lbs
    The HD weighs = 630 lbs.

The X-blade weighs 742 lbs. So will the extra 90 lb difference between the X-blade and the HD make a big difference on my truck?

The only reason for getting an X-blade is the stainless steel look. But if it is to much plow I would gladly just go with the HD Series.

Thanks to everyone for all their inputs. This site is pretty sweet!!

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 100 lbs is a 100 lbs. Puts it over on the FAWR regardless.

And you neglected to factor in the estimated additional 60 lbs for the truck side hardware for both plows. Which will put your X-blade at 800 lbs...too much for the front axle capacity on any 1/2 ton truck no matter what emblem is in the grill.