1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

has anyone given up there own work and become a sub?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AintNoFun, Mar 2, 2006.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

just curious if anyone has given up all there own work and become just a sub for a good reliable company? I do make money on all my own work we have about 45 accounts that i use 6 trucks to do. Every year prices are getting lower and lower and tougher to make money though. A friend of mine works for brickman and hes begging me to become one of there subs. i'll be making a decent amount less than i do now per truck, but no more customer headaches, b.s., worrying about receivables, etc. just curious if anyone close to my situation has made the change and see how they liked it. this is brought on by my friend who has a large asphalt company, gave or sold all his snow work and is now a sub and is claiming to love every minute of it... thanks in advance..
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Not totally but I could if I wanted to. I sub during bigger storms on an as needed basis, usually after the storm ends and there is still lots of clean up work to be done. It cuts into my sleep after the storm but $75/hr for someone my age is worth it.

Advantages: All work in my case is concentrated in two large condo/townhouse complex's. Alot less to deal with, you dont have to travel miles between jobs and your not dealing directly with the customers. You just get paid to do a good job. I have never done it in the height of a storm as Iam busy with my own work but I think plowing big storms would be alot easier when it was just two locations less then a mile apart.

Disadvantages: For me, I still make slightly more on my own then I would if I did nothing but sub. I have to deal with customers but most of them are good. I also like being out and around town during the storms and be able to stop and grab a quick bite to eat if I want or run by and plow my drive or a family member/friends driveway, if Iam on the clock subbing, I dont have any of those options.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i did it . instead of doing my own comm. lots or res. i sub for a local co.
    since i manage a repair shop for my real job its nice to just drive and not deal with the administraition B.S.but i still have a few that are serviced after the storm where the properties i sub on we service the sites every 3" and salt salt and more salt

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i sorta did it also. last season i plowed all my own accounts and this season i am a sub for the town. i only kept 1 driveway. i like subbing way better, i dont make as much but its well worth the cut in pay.
  5. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Not me. I worked on someones clock for close to 30 yrs. I retired early and have no intentions of working for someone other than myself. I'm alot happier now that I have control of most situations. :D
  6. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I did it too. I dropped everything and have been working for the town plowing roads. Not as much per hour, but als no receiveables, no headaches, no bs and they're great people to work with. Any problems they can cover me, and I can put my truck in their heated shop to work on it if I need.

Be careful with who you go work for, you may still be chasing receiveables!
  7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

i own 2 trucks, and have just over 60 accounts, i am getting a dumptruck soon, with a plow and sander........and im going to sub it out to the city...and leave the 2 trucks doing the same thing they are doing know....reason being, ( atleast in my town ) they call the subs out to do the city streets when theres like less than a 1/2 inch of snow, they are mostly just sanding/salting but they are out for like 3 to 5 hours...and im in not doing a single condo or driveway...so they ge taway with $350 or so just for a little bit of time, and i never went out....weve had about 4 of those little storms under 2 inches this season..it addds up.payup
  8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Had two trucks! --Down to one--plow for the town and a few drives, were clients that were good (payers and attitude) or didn't need to be plowed out right away! Driver bought new truck,so gave him my two commercial lots and a few of the drives!--Just got tired of chasing money and last winter was tough went out like 25 times if I recall--This year Where's the Snow!!!! Can't say I love every minute of it! But I am not killing myself to be everywhere at once--route was pretty compact--with a couple of PIA Drives -Nowhere to put snow and the such!
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

good answers, i appreciate the input. im thinking i might just keep enough of my high profit accounts to do with one truck and send the rest out as subs.. i've been doing thinking and the fact that i got 2 calls yesterday that people had problems with their bills from services performed 3 weeks ago! my guys do bang out some plowing work and all plow like mad men and im thinking i can tell them to take it a lot easier now and save on some repairs as well. i dunno still tossing it around..
  10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Love subbing.

Hook up my plow, turn up the phone and go to bed. If the storm hits I wake up and go. If it doesn't, I sleep :) If we get 1.5" and it's not worth plowing I don't get phone calls asking why the drive wasn't done, etc...

I get my gaurenteed hours for the season headache free.

I can stop and grab some food, etc...

And I carry less insurance.
  11. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Working for the other guy

I guess I did this back wards from most but my first couple years I worked as a sub and had nothing but problems getting paid. I was told I would be paid at the end of each snow but it turned out that I got paid as the contractor did. That lasted two years and I had enough so I went out on my own. I did ok for the next three years but again I was always behind because I ended up spending as much time chaseing money as I did plowing for the most part. The past two years I change my whole way of doing things and now I have about 20 solid customers that pay me in advance for the entire winter based on a fee that I have set. I have a very long drive and before I started plowing myself I had to pay someone else, so I use that as a guild then I take the number of plowable snow day from the three years proceeding year and do an average and that how I arrive at my yearly charge to my customers. So far it has worked perfectly because I don't have to chase my accounts and they don't have to worry if I will show up or am to busy to get to them. I do plow more often then most do because like I tell my clients, when I plow my drive I plow thiers and since I hate walking in snow I seem to be out more often. But it works for everyone. Steve