1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone fabricated wings for a 10' plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jasonz, Dec 1, 2013.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Im trying to improve the efficiency of my 10' western heavyweight and was wondering if anyone had fabricated wings for a plow this large or some type of sides to help contain the snow. Obviously at 10' anything that made it wider would have to be removable, and it would probably need some sort of brace back to the front of the mold bold like some pushers have.

just looking for ideas and maybe some pics.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Are you plowing roads or lots?

3. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Mostly large lots with the 10'ers

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Haven't yet, but will be done by end of next week - exact same situation.

5. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Would you mind sharing what you have got so far?

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Made them for 11f and 8 ft plows
    I call mine side boards. Turns my plow into a box plow. Mine will let the plow trip still

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

That's what I'm looking for do you have any pics?

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

9. donleybrent

donleybrent Member

I have the same exact plow on my topkick and I bought boss removable XT wings for it.. Had to make one bracket for the inside mount is all. They are sweet to say the least. Blade is almost 12ft wide with them on and they scoop forward just enough to hold snow and still let the blade trip if it needs to. I run all boss plows other than this one and all have boss wings so it was easy to see how they were going to fit.

10. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Any pics and what do those wings go for? $600+ for a set may be more cost effective to have a welder fabricate them from scratch

11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

End plates are simple and easy fix, extending the plow with forward raking wings is art.

I'd guess you'll have 300 in materials to make a set, paint and labor will be at least that - to have someone make a pin on or even permanant wing extension would be more than 600, make it yourself and then it becomes what your time is worth.

What I have now is a 10' western sitting in the corner and an idea - most times those ideas work out, sometimes they don't. The plan is permanant extensions.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sell it and get a Blizzard 8611 power Plow. It's what you want and need.

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Ditto on the 8611 if that 10'er wasn't laying here, I got nothing else to do.

Value wise, the 8611 seems like a heck of a deal.