1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever sub-contracted w/ Brickman?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ProGradeSnw&Ice, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ProGradeSnw&Ice

ProGradeSnw&Ice Junior Member

I have been plowing for the landscaping company that I am employed with year round as well as some of my own side jobs. I now own 2 trucks and am trying to take on more work for this season. Through a friend of a friend I may have an opportunity to sub-contract to Brickman. However, they would want a full-time commitment and probably from both trucks which leaves me to either:

• Take season off from my current employer
    • Pay a couple guys to drive my trucks for Brickman while I plow for my current employer in one of his trucks
    • Turn down Brickman all together
    • Find a solution somewhere in the middle

Any suggestions? I have heard of people making a lot of $$ sub-ing to Brickman but have also heard rumors of them f***ing their contractors over. And ditching my current employer would also probably be unethical. I feel most people will say not to take on so much at once, but I see a big opportunity and know I will be kicking myself later on if I let it go.

Either way I am not losing existing money, just potential profit as I see it. I also failed to mention I have commercial insurance on both trucks that I want to make sure gets put to the most potential use.

James :confused: :dizzy:
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite!! I think if you put Brickman in the search box in the upper right corner of your screen, you will have all the information you can handle on them. Also, if you don't already have employees driving your trucks, they will become that if you put them into your trucks and it would create additional responsibilities for you. Good luck
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  3. ProGradeSnw&Ice

Thanks for the response and welcoming! And you prove a good point on the "employee" aspect. I do have a few friends that have worked in the plowing business before, (some have moved here from the Chicago area, therefor could even have more experience than me... :rolleyes: ...right ) that have always wanted to help me out once I have enough work. Still a risky thing not to mention one more headache
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I filled out their new contractor paperwork and faxed it in. They said my auto ins is not within specs. We have $300k policy, they want $1m. I told them I will look into that additional expense if they have work available in the area. Never heard back from them.
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

The only contract I looked at from them had a limit of number of services they would pay for over the course of the season, it wasn't nearly enough for our snowfall, I asked if that could be adjusted, I was told no, and moved on. The numbers weren't as bad as some I've seen, but with a limit, there's just no way. I haven't been called since.
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What is your current position where you work? I'm a little confused about the freedom you seem to have being able to do landscape and snow work on the side.

You come across as a smart fellow. Are you in a management/leadership role at your current job?

Why aren't you helping the company you work for grow?
  7. ProGradeSnw&Ice

Very good questions, glad someone wanted to learn more of the situation, just didn't want to start off boring everyone with all the details...

...and thanks for the "smart fellow" compliment

It is a decent sized, family owned and operated business with an endless list of its ups and downs.

I am one of the 2 official landscape foremans. I also have "unofficial" titles such as Fleet Manager, Lot Manager, Operations Manager, etc. I have been with the company for 5 years and have learned a lot including key things TO DO and NOT TO DO when operating a small business.

The job has become a "dead end" job with no room for advancement, hence why other long-term employees have been leaving. And with the struggle to obtain pay increase to match the skill and responsibility increase, it is a little hard not to become frustrated or feel taken advantage of.

I have built up a good and honest relationship with the owner and even consider him a friend. He has come to understand my future plowing intensions, although we have left out some of the fine details of why I am pursuing it so hard. He came to me early on and asked what my plan was for the winter, if I was going out on my own, working for him, or sub-ing for him to balance somewhere in between. If it werent for the loss of other senior employees it wouldnt matter so much to him but with the bind he's in he needs to know soon.

I don't want to "burn any bridges" but at the same time I would like to get a move on starting something of my own. While I would love to help the company grow, and with that, create a new position level for myself and others, I have begun to conclude that they may not be interested in growing.
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Unless someone other than your boss started this company, and he just happens to be lucky gene pool and inept on top of it, I have a hard time believing he doesn't want his company to grow.

I can certainly relate to the dead end job aspect.

Since it sounds as though you are not willing or motivated to take the reigns and make something happen there, you need to be true to yourself and start your own thing. You are not doing him any favors by being there.

Good luck to you.