1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever sub-contracted w/ Brickman?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProGradeSnw&Ice, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ProGradeSnw&Ice

ProGradeSnw&Ice Junior Member

I have been plowing for the landscaping company that I am employed with year round as well as some of my own side jobs. I now own 2 trucks and am trying to take on more work for this season. Through a friend of a friend I may have an opportunity to sub-contract to Brickman. However, they would want a full-time commitment and probably from both trucks which leaves me to either:

• Take season off from my current employer
    • Pay a couple guys to drive my trucks for Brickman while I plow for my current employer in one of his trucks
    • Turn down Brickman all together
    • Find a solution somewhere in the middle

Any suggestions? I have heard of people making a lot of $$ sub-ing to Brickman but have also heard rumors of them f***ing their contractors over. And ditching my current employer would also probably be unethical. I feel most people will say not to take on so much at once, but I see a big opportunity and know I will be kicking myself later on if I let it go.

Either way I am not losing existing money, just potential profit as I see it. I also failed to mention I have commercial insurance on both trucks that I want to make sure gets put to the most potential use.

James :confused: :dizzy:
  2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We have worked for a local branch of Brickman and I can say they where quit good to work for. The pay was comparable to most other sub contract opertunitys and they were full service monthly contracts. Checks came in the mail month and on time as promised.
    I here that everyone's experience with them is different based on the branch you work for. If we were offered work with them again I'm sure we would take it.

Now if you are talki g about Brickman facility services I would run the other way. All I've heard is low pay and typical national service provider bull !
  3. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

in Dayton, you can do much better than what they offer you. There are two other larger outfits I know first hand offering 50% more per hour than the brown clowns. They were talking $65 per hour for a pickup. Im telling you its better to sell your trucks now than plow for that little.
  4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

They left a bitter taste in my mouth.
  5. ProGradeSnw&Ice

Good to know. Are there any specific companies you would recommend? Where abouts in Ohio are you located?
  6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I worked for Brickman through BFS (their national company) STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy has plowed for them for years.. started $100 per hour $20 bag of salt.... now he makes $75 per hour . $10 bag salt.. they do pay, and keep him busy.....

I like my per push apartment complexs
  8. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I have subbed for BFS for the last 4 years. I at first they were horrible with payment 45 - 90 days out during the snow season. Their system was all sorts of jacked up. The least couple of years payment has been a lot quicker for the lawn side its the same time every month. Winter work its about 10-15 days after the storm.

The one down side is you have no control over the accounts. Meaning we had a great account line up with them last year enough to keep 9 trucks busy. We serviced our accounts flawlessly and even picked up several others from other service providers working through brickman which couldnt handle what they had. This year Brickman lost one of their national accounts which in turn means I lost 8 zero tollerance cash cows. If you do work for them don't get comfertable with the accounts you have this year because next year they will most likely be gone.

The point is don't quit your day job for a quick buck. Firgure out a plan to try subing one truck to BFS while keeping your all year round job.
  9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Local offices are usually good to work for. BFS, not so good.
  10. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

We do a good amount of work for bfs. The ivr system is a pita, and if your paperwork isn't in line don't expect to get paid. If you get all of your contracts in and double check that they have your ins cert then your good. Don't count on one company for all of your accounts, if you read their contract they can cancell at any time.
  11. jbovara

jbovara Junior Member

Working for national company has ups and downs. If you can make margins to pay a guy to drive one of your trucks for a national company then doit. It seams that the national company guys try to target smaller one man opperations and they almost always pay as such,
  12. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

don't waste your time!

I spent more time chasing my money than plowing , dont waste your time they are a Joke!
  13. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

I totally agree! Stupid thing only works half the time for me, then I get sent to an agent, who sends me back to IVR!
  14. ProGradeSnw&Ice

Thanks for all the input! I stuck w/ my employer because I felt that was the right thing to do. As for Brickman, I had to turn the opportunity down this year. Instead I picked up a couple more of my own commercial accounts as well as contacted someone else I knew that was looking for sub-contractors and agreed to have my trucks help him out. (His accounts so it doesn't put my ass on the line as bad, when I can't personally be there, and he is also there to oversee what my guys are doing)

I also ended up picking up a third truck to take on the extra work :dizzy:
  15. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

A family member subs from them (equipment only, no plows) and I think he's had to fight to get paid every year. Be ready to wait for your money.
  16. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

90 day pay .

workmans comp

min. 6 million aggregate insurance

bonded $$$

subs /and/or employees willing to wait to june for funds . Unless they less you (aka; payroll)

superfunded attorney

the sharks eat the guppies . are you a shark or a guppie ?
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  17. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I can't take any more! This is all BS. I have been paid exactly by the terms they tell you up front. No sooner and no later! I've never had a problem with doing their sweeping or snow and ice removal. I can't understand what you guys with problems are having problems with. All I can figure is that a poorly run company will always have problems with most of their customers.

If you have a computer and 1/2 a brain you won't have any problems with Brickman.
  18. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

90 pay?
    More Like net 30-45
    6mil insurance?
    Never asked to put up a bond
  19. Spool it up

guessing not all contracts are alike . we bidded on a 45 acre business campus and those were the terms . cant see any corp. as brickman allowing a poser with 2 trucks to cover 45acres . Dont even think about pulling or damaging unseen curb,
    you are responsible .

you must be qualified . being bonded and fully insured are major items for that campus . imagine paco and jimmy being awarded said contract & failing to clear said campus in a timely matter w/out heavy equipment ,material tonnage and manpower . that is where their bond satifiys the contract .

do you know anything about being bonded and what it entitles ? are you willing to absorb or put up the coin of those terms listed above ? workmans comp ?

it's big business , not a right to work, affirmative action deal or some 711 lot.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  20. Spool it up

no reply ? must be eating all that home made Christmas food .wesport