1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever seen this done before?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by buckwheat_la, Jan 2, 2011.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

So the other day a friend of mine who runs a bobcat, phones me up and tells me to check out one of my competitors at a contract. Curiousity gets the best of me so I hop in my vehicle and drive down to the site they are working on and you wouldn't believe what they are doing!!! They are using a soil conditioning attachment on their skid to tear down ice, and it is working like a damn. The unit they were using was rented from the local bobcat dealer and has little carbide teeth on it, and it went through that ice like butter, I am not sure this unit would be good on a concrete/asphalt surface but on gravel I think it would be great. Now I just need a new customer that has screwed up there snow and let ice build on their drive to give me a excuse to try this myself.
  2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

No thanks. I'm not taking on that liability. Liable for the pavement and the attachment in the machine. If something does go wrong, they are gonna say that you were not using it right. Now you are held liable. I am good with dropping extra salt or using a loader bucket.
  3. buckwheat_la

That's what I thought too, but the bobcat dealer is the one who recommended it
  4. ironjet

ironjet Junior Member

if it was a rock hound( or soil preparator) they are made for breaking up hard packed soil to clear rock and stone , ice should be no problem for it at all , also some units you can adjust the height to keep it from getting too deep
  5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

damm, the secrete is out. It is only a matter of time before some big national cuts the rates on removing ice
  6. leon

leon Senior Member

ice etc.

Are you saying they used an asphault drum cutter
    or trenching cutter? they will also create a lot of heat.

Or is it a garden spader/tiller attachment?

A rock hound would not work very well for that as it has a
    hopper to collect the rocks.
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I'm thinking harley rake.
  8. ironjet

ironjet Junior Member

ive used a preparator with no basket , it's just angled and it kicks the rocks out to the side
  9. buckwheat_la

looks like this

10. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

I've used a harley rake on my gravel lot to brake up ice, it helps.
  11. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

ya, a harley rake would have no problem with ice at all.