1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever hardfaced plow cutting edges?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by justme-, Jan 17, 2005.

1. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ok, I decided to stay steel instead of a Uedge for weight and hard pack scraping, and I am going to have the bottom of my spring mounts hardfaced (Fisher blade) to protect them for future wear. I have been useing a 1/2 inch edge on the Dodge to save weight over the 5/8 inch like I have on the Chevy. The 1/2 wears out so much faster I got to thinking about hardfacing it and I wonder if anyone has any experiances with hardfaced edges, different patterns for hardfacing it or suggestions.
  2. Mrplowguy

Mrplowguy Junior Member

What is that? Hardfacing them. I have a blizzard and want it to scrape better to.
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Every cutting edge that I have ever purchased has already been hardened. Just remember that it is easy to make steel brittle when trying to harden it...
  4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

We tried hard facing our plow shoes a couple years ago. It does help them last longer but we found it just wasnt worth the time .
  5. Rainman

Rainman Junior Member

Have you tried Stainless? That's what I'm using and seems to last a good long time!
  6. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

My buddy work at a place that does welding and so on and they made a cutting edge that cost $215 for a friend as a proto type edge and we have ran this thing down the high way for 20-30 miles at 65 and it barely put a scatch in it... this **** is hard steel.... might be worth it for the price and never have to change one for a few yrs
  7. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

We use edges from road graders for our rear blades on tractors, not sure if its something that can be modified to fit a plow, but they are def worth looking into. They are extremely heavy duty, and hard to wear out...
  8. iowaegian

iowaegian Junior Member
    from 1

One thing to consider when hardfacing a cutting edge...what are the surfaces you are scraping. I've heard of contractors ruining those decorative driveways from the cutting edge being harder than the surface. Hardfacing tends to be brittle also and can chip off unevenly. With this said, it can be done but usually not worth the time and expense of welding it on. If you insist on it you can use a high tensile weld electrode and just make multiple passes on the cutting edge bottom. There are some specialty electrodes available for hard facing but the expense is usually greater than replacing the cutting edge. Talk to a local weld shop or weld supply shop.
  9. Stang977

Stang977 Junior Member

We run Plowguard Extenders from Winter Equipment. They are carbide plates that bolt to the cutting edge. We've been getting a whole season out of our blades.[http://www.winterequipment.com/[/URL]

10. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

we use hardened steel cutting edges on our trucks, we replace them every three seasons. 100.00 dollars an edge.
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Wow, thanks for all the input. Hardfacing is a weld rod that is impact and or abrasive resistant. Look at construction equipment- that x type weld beading on the digging parts of the buckets and blades is hardfacing- it is to make the steel more wear resistant.

The 1st edge I bought for the Chevy was semi hardened- lasted very well for it's use, but the stock fisher edge I have been getting for the Dodge is soft.
    I will check in to hardened edges- I have a weight limit issue as it's a mid 90's ram (front axle weight limit) so adding a dozer edge is out of the question- as, I think, are the carbide plates (but I will check into them too).

Hardfacing rod ismade for different properties, some is for abrasion with no impact, others are for severe impact and abrasion (bull dozer type work) and I have no problem doing it myself- I just don't want to ruin an edge.

Good point about the driveway being softer....didn't think of that.
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Where are you guys getting SS edges and hardened edges for $100??
    Semi hard edge cost me $150 7 years ago