1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever had dealings with USM?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Xforce 1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

I see all of this on here about them and they are calling me wanting bids and from what I have read on the contract and on here, I'm looking the other way.

Does anyone currently work under them or have worked under them to give any feedback on how they do business. I checked them out on the BBB and they have an A+ reading.:confused:
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

you read all the posts and yet your still considering working for them? LOL

I dunno, but from I gather, it seems like a total headache to work with them. I wouldnt if I were you
  3. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yeah do a search. I did work for them in the past lawn care and landscaping no snow. But I imagine the headache is the same. For me they took forever to pay made it as hard as possible to get them to pay and take off money everywhere. They had not paid me for over 9 months and called about me taking on the client again and there would be 5% less pay for everything because customers are dropping services but we r doing all the same services for less money. Oh yeah and can you pay me for last years work and bite then bite me. It took forever to get paid but they need all forms signed and faxed immediately or the wont pay you.
  4. naturalgreen

I dont know about elsewhere but in missouri I get a call from them constantly and I have a few times they have called about the same property with different numbers. They call all the time for bids but I laugh at that. They are not going to take your bid just see what numbers are out there and then drop it. They are a force to be reckoned with but they must be getting contractors so hey.
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

6. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Run Forrest, Run!

Signing on with USM would be very similar to dropping the soap in a prison shower! :eek: Only one party will come out of that situation with a smile on their face...and it won't be you!!!
  7. naturalgreen

mmmmmmm soap
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

the only person i could recommend that says they have had a good experience with USM is a guy that goes by Scott's
  9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You know this first hand ?? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
  10. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

No experience first hand...but I think I would take my chances in there before I'd sign with USM
  11. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Heres a story for ya guys. Have a fellow contractor that plowed more than few locations. He was paid for lets say 3 outta of the five contracts almost a year later, at a discounted rate to (20%) from original price that was contracted, then after they paid him for the 3 contracts, they asked him to pay back 40% of what he was already paid on the 3 contracts because the other 2 contracts did not pay USM.???? Thats what i said, he has a lawyer involved now. Its like 8 grand they want back. It was targets, lowes, kohls, walgreens.....all in all like 50 locations. At the time i was a sub for him we were running 24/7 for 6 days, mountains of ice melt. No one, and i mean no one will work for usm here, they have a guy from outta state that is trying to get the contracts and has called everyone looking for subs to do the work, no one will bite because we all know the contracts are thru Usm at the same locations/contracts, this winter will be interesting. They have called me at least 5 times in the last month.................We have a strong lawn and landscape association here in town( 40 or so companys) and when someone has a story like this you listen. I think the box stores will learn sooner or later,slip and falls are expensive. Sad thing is targets are/were good payers, now that Usm has their grubby paws on them, no one will sign up.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  12. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

There will always be a sucker or two that will sign that is desperate. Esp. this year.
  13. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

I'm not saying that I am signing, just that I was wondering if anyone had ever worked for them before. Bunch of horror stories on here for sure about this contract!

Has anyone pushed for them before? I see natuealgreen has mowed before but I was wondering about snow. The manager here is trying to get Wal-mart to take his store back which I hope happens.
  14. wmik55

wmik55 Junior Member

we have done snow removal in the past for USM. if you sign with them for walmart no matter what happens you cannot do work for walmart unless its through USM. they have you sign thier contract which includes a non-compete. be careful and read the contract!!!!!!!!
  15. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Ahh I dont remember that one:confused:
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You mean cretebaby. His name is Scott.

As for the OP, you're joking, right? Seriously, this post is a joke, isn't it? :dizzy:
  17. buckwheat_la

nope i am pretty sure i mean Scott's, we had a thread a while ago, where someone had asked if anyone had experience with USM, and crete, gave me sh!t, because i don't plow for USM, but then someone (it may have been you Mark) asked Scott what experience he had with USM, and Scott's said did a parking lot for them that wasn't a Walmart. I can't confirm any of this, because the thread was erased, but i am pretty sure that is how it went down
  18. buckwheat_la

in one of the other posts, a member by the name of DBS also does work with USM
  19. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Well if there is no proof anymore then it wasnt me:D
  20. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Was going to start a new thread and find out your opinions on USM, but then saw this one. Just got off the phone with them and they want a bid for a wal mart here in town. Told me the "other" guy was way to expensive. They even told me his bid! Seems shady to me. We have had two good plowable events this season already, but USM said they were not signing any contracts till Dec. 1. Who removed your snow then I ask. The "other" guy. WTF! Removing snow on a 470,000 sq ft parking lot with no contract. Yikes! My feeling, based on all of your input, is that he will not get paid.