1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever fabed wings for something like this

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I was thinking of playing with this blade and putting end plates and kinda making a pusher out of it. Any ideas good or bad?????

[​IMG]

2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ya we're doing it right now...i'll post pics when we're done.

3. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

That would be great, I was hoping I wasnt the only one thinking of doing it. That would sure push some snow

4. redman6565

oh ya. we're going to make it hinge and bolt into three different angle locations...atleast thats the goal

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

search the picture area, i have seen two or three blades like that modified. the one was really good, i think it was done by jay brown if i remember correctly

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just another idea but my dad had the idea to make up half moon end plates so the blade would angle still. We did this about 8 years ago and belive it or not the blade actually will carry almost 50% more snow. Snowway actually brought out the same wings I guess my dad should have patened the idea. BTW we bought that blade in 1990 for 2k used and we still use it every storm. The pic was taken last year.

snow reist pusher.jpg

7. redman6565

looks good JD

8. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I've engineered a pair of box ends for my 10' Monroe, but haven't built them yet. Thought I was going to get a big account with alot of long straight runs, but I didn't, so my plans and cardboard mockups are on file at the moment....

On a full trip plow, the box sides can pin to the end of the moldboard at the same height as the pushframe pins. I see in the pic your push frame runs to the end of the mold board. I would utilize that pin to attach the box ends. This allows the blade to still trip and the ends to float over curbs.

The skid feet height should be adjustable. As the main blade wears, the box end feet can also be adjusted.

Since it's a full trip plow, that prevents typical bracing from the box end to the moldboard. I was going to use a piece of aircraft cable (2') attached low, from the inside of the box end to the moldboard. The cable is attached at the same height as the pushframe pins to still allow the blade to trip, without pulling the box ends inward. The cables prevent the ends from bowing out under load.

I designed mine to be removable since I also plow streets. 1/4 steel plate, doubled in some areas for strength. I figure each end will weigh about 50lbs.

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to some pics as well. Maybe I can improve my design!

9. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Good info thanks

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

hey scotts, there was another thread in pictures (or maybe heavy equipment) that showed a wing that lifted and tripped independent of the blade, don't know who did it, but many people were encouraging him to build them, if i come across the tread i well let you know