1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever been screwed like this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TNT Lawncare, Feb 4, 2008.

1. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

One of my big commercial places I plow at, I had to plow 3 times this past Friday due to about 10 inches of snow. I get a call from the place today saying that employee is saying that I hit his vehicle in some way the 3rd and final time I was there that day. Now, I was pretty tired since I had been up for about 40hours at that point but I really don't get close to parked cars at all. Now they are having an investigation into it and I have to go talk to them in the morning about it. I told them they need to review their security cameras, as they have about a dozen of them, and see if they see anything. I don't have a mark on my truck anywhere.

It seems to me that someone is trying to take advantage of the plow guy again. I have already put a call into my attorney since this company is big, and union controlled. I feel like I am going to have to take a bite out of this **** sandwich they made for me.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think once you see the mark on the car, you'll be able to tell if you did it,and go from there. See how bad it is and what they want to do. We do a large union place and the guys that work there will walk and drive right behind you when backing, I think they want us to hit them. Anyway good luck.
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

its gonna be pretty obvious if the plow hit it from the mark on the car. if u hit it with the truck ull be able to tell on the truck probably better if u wash the truck off. sometimes the salt hides it
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

if it is union controlled i see it being pushed until you pay if it is caught on tape.
    What they are probably thinking right now is "how can he not know if he hit the car or not?"

i am guessing if you dont know. then you probably hit it.
  5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Got accused of hitting a camper stored at a place we plow. Both the managers knew it was way to high for me to hit it. The owners of the camper must be grasping at straws. I got my truck as close as I normally would and took a bunch of pictures. Can you do that? Protect yourself.
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i would just be like i didnt hit it. because i have never once hit something and not got out to check
  7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

if they have no proof deny it and walk away you would know if you hit the car. if the cameras don't show anything your clear on this one.
  8. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

I'll tell you, you either take it in the ( ) ) by not working because of no snow, like us here in NY,NJ, CT or... you take it in the ( ) ) by having some ( ) ) hole trying to put the blame on you because it "JUST HAD TO BE THE PLOWGUY".:realmad:

I HOPE the cameras are on your side. If not, I'd try to fix the "hit vehicle" before they open up a can of worms and have their 1995 crap restored by you and your plow insurance jumps 35% :dizzy:

9. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Yeah, I am taking my camera and taking lots of pictures. I have looked all around my truck and found nothing that I didn't already know about as far as minor dents and scratches. I have a decent truck and all but it still is a work truck. Unless there cameras caught me hitting any vehicle there, I am denying everything, since I am 99.9% sure I didnt hit anything. We will see though. I was wondering if this is something that happens alot to other people. I will let you guys know what happens.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't tell them you were up for 40 hours. LOL
  11. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Haha, no, I won't do that.
  12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you let us know how it goes. Have you seen the vehicle that you supposedly hit? Was there damage that would be consistent with what your plow could do to a car?
  13. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

I haven't seen any of it yet. They just called me this afternoon. They say it happened Friday night and nothing was said until today. I figure there is a whole weekend that person could screw up their own car but we will see.
  14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Was accused of hitting a stacked stone wall once, if I did then I had no idea I had, but whatever--cost me $8 for patching cement and an hours time to fix, and kept the contract.

Also was accused of hitting a car in one of my lots one night, including supposedly a witness that said I did it... Funny part was, I DIDN'T plow the lot that night, it never met the trigger depth!!:realmad: I came back hours later to recheck it, and found the lot was plowed (a tenant that kept trying to take the contract from me over and over)... I found the damaged car (in a spot we don't normally plow), I phoned it in to the landlady... and I got blamed for it anyways. Told her I carry insurance just for such an occasion, but I'll be damned if I'll use my insurance to cover this other guy's screwup! She claimed she agreed with me and believed me, and I kept the contract for the remainder of the season, but was replaced the next year because the tenant (who I'm 99% positive did the hit) would plow and take the cost off his rent.

In retrospect, I don't miss that lot even though it was decent money and she was a good payer. There were forever extra vehicles parked everywhere overnight, and at least 40-50 scrap cars haphazardly parked all over the back lot...

But I KNOW I didn't hit the Mustang! But that doesn't seem to matter.
  15. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

We were accused of hitting a drive thru sign at a Taco Bell about 10 years ago.

Not the menu board, but one that says "enter ---->"

Anyways, my dad said he didn't hit it. I trusted him, because he'd called me in the past when he DID his stuff. After all, stuff happens when you're on a slick surface, middle of the night, lower visibility, yada yada yada.

Anyways, we went down with the truck and the plow. Met the store manager, district manager, guy I was subbing the account from and the regional manager for Taco Bell.

We parked our truck any way we could drive up to it.

They said we had to have driven straight into it and then lifted the plow up.

I said......... "where's the pile of snow that would have been pushed into the sign then??"

I don't know if they were thinking I would have just pushed the sign over for no reason or what.

I never paid, they never persued.

Either someone drunk hit it in the middle of the night, or the sign was in direct line of the dumpsters if the garbage truck were to back straight up about 30 yards after loading the garbage bins.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Must have been a pretty important sign, for all those people to come out!
  17. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

you should put a damage clause in your contract all damage to buildings/vehicles must be reported within 24 hours of when you plowed that should stop all the scam artists.....
  18. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what i was thinking after I read this. Because it is easy for someone to go and hit something in two or three days.
  19. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

That sounds like a great idea! Next year of course since we only have another month or so of plowing here. That will definitely be in there next year.
  20. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we had something similar happen. it was at an aapt complex. they called us and said one of our trucks hit a car in the lot i said ok ill come take a look at it and see what we can do. i get there. there is red paint on the car in the crease where our plow supposedly hit it. i turned to the guy and said we didnt hit it. and he said how do you know. i said b/c we dont own a red plow or red truck. and seeing as how he filed a police report on it. turns out he had his buddy hit it and blamed it on us so he could get a new car out of us. he got a big ass fine and a big ass dent he had to pay for. end o story.

good luck with your situation man.