1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone else done this???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DCS MN, Dec 12, 2009.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I was plowing during our last storm and it go down to -4 or so. Plowed all night with little problems except that the plow functions would not work all of the sudden. I would run it into the snow bank and usually it would work again????
    Second I got home and realized I split the cross bar that the lift cylinder connects to(would post pics but camera got run over). I am running two boss's right now, is this a common problem?
    Is the electrical problem common.
    I have had little to no problems with Boss till this year.:confused:

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

run it into a snow bank?

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

check your 13 pin plug you prob jarred it ,might have had ice hanging from it .

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I had that problem the other day. I took my air hose to both plugs blew them out. So far so good. As far as the cross bar goes, this is what I would do. Take the lift cylinder off. Take a cut off wheel or sazall and cut the old piece off. Weld in a thicker dia. Tube in place. Or bring it to your dealer and say here ya go. What can ya do for me. I have seen this before on here before. The guys dealer cut out the old tude and re welded in a new thicker dia. Tube in place. Depending on how old the plow is you might try calling boss and pleading your case. Post some pics if you can. I know your camera is broken though.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I took off the lift cylinder, straightend the tube, welded that up. Then welded a piece of angle to the top to reinforce the tube. Looks almost factory.:nod:

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Just keep a close eye on it. Its mostly from going up into piles stacking snow.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There's a pix somewhere on here of someone else breaking the cross beam.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I've seen that pic. It broke right next to where the cylinder conncets to the cross beam.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The only ones I've ever found to break the cross tube are those that had undercut welds on the lift cylinder attachment tabs. The undercut weld creates a stress riser in the tube thus it's only a matter of time and use before they crack. Good idea to check those welds closely on a new plow.

10. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Exactly where mine broke, and we where stacking snow!

11. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Broken tube repair

I think that you may be reffering to a pic that I posted after I broke my plow. I cut out the old "tube" and replaced it with a 1 1/2" tube. I think it was 3/16" if I remember right. I has worked out very well up to this point. But remember, there has to be a weak point somewhere so proceed with caution. I will try and take another pic & post it tomorrow. Griz

12. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Found the repair pics !

Here is the repair that I did to my plow. Has not been a problem with it as of yet. Griz

plow repair & light bar 002.jpg

13. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

It is hard to tell from your pic but I straightend the tube, welded that and then added the angle similar to what you did.

14. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

looks good!

15. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

Look familar? I did this last week! notice how its a perfect break all around the tube! I got a havier pipe replacing that one!
    [​IMG]