1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone else bent Pro Wings?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Mac, Mar 2, 2005.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

purchased a pair of Buyer wings from Northern Tool for around $200. Installed them on my 8.2" Boss V. After the first use the rubber cutting edge bent back and no longer touched the ground. I solved that problem by welding some 1/2" steel plate to bottom of the wings in place of the rubber. The second use the wing itself bent back, the new steel plate I used no longer touched the ground again and the wing itself was bent across the center. The steel they use is very thin. I do plow parking lots with curbs and windrow snow banks back but never hit either one very hard. I did find a curb "very slow roll" and that did the damage on one side. I did not hit very hard. I have done this many times with my Boss for years. I bent the other side by windrowing a semi frozen bank. So I had to take the wings of completely and redo everything. Cut the factory mounting plates off, welded 1" solid square stock to side of plow and to wing from a straight position and angled. Weld square stock to back of wing vertically for support. My point here is this, if you are going to use wings for any plowing and expect them to work you will have to rebuild the wings or build your own from scratch. For $200 Buyers could make a better wing! I spent about $100 on materials to remake correctly. Any one else have the same problems?

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

No , havent had a problem, had then 2 seasons , I am very pleased and am buying 2 more sets for other trucks

3. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I've got a set of ProWings and haven't bent them yet, but I do agree you could build a set pretty easy. My rubbers bent back and pulled away at the top and got filled in with snow and stones so I added some bolts across the top. They are still curved back but I can't tell where they are leaving a lot of snow behind.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have had a set on two plows for the last 6 or 7 years. I have bent 3 of them. I welded on a little brace on each of the brackets on the back of each one, which has helped alot. If what I think you said you did, was that you took off the rubber and replaced it with solid steel, you are going to bend them all the time. It wont let the blade trip either. They tell you right in the instructions that the wings are not as tough as your blade, and not to be slamming into curbs and stuff. :nono:

5. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Slamming into curbs is not what I did, slow roll into a curb and plowing back a snow bank is what bent wing. I would think that anyone that plows a lot with curbs has tapped a curb before. The plow does trip if you hit something hard enough but as every Boss plow owner can tell Boss plows don't trip very easily anyway. Plowing an open lot is all they would be good for if used them the way Buyers built them. The rubber cutting edge did not scrape the pavement down far enough and bent back. The new cutting is the same as the cutting edge on my plow and will last and wear down the same as plow edge. The rebuild that we did was a lot more that one small extra brace. I like the extra 2 feet on the plow, it has saved me a lot of time. We wanted to make something that would be as strong as plow. The edges of the plow on any plow is what takes all the abuse. I can't believe that more people have not had the same problems. Are you plowing driveways or parking lots?

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I do mostly small parking lot(s). I have read the bending problems with the Pros.

I went with Turkey Wings instead. Why? Built as tough as the blade plus they float in their own channels and trip with the blade. So NO bending or rubber flaps to fool with when pushing heavy snow or striking a obstruction.

True they DO not make the blade path as wide as the Pros. But they can be adjusted outward to increase path width.

My 4th season with them and it was $300 well spent..................geo :drinkup:

http://www.turkeywings.com

7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

A smart manufacturer should jump on this one. After doing a search on here I have read many threads about how Pro wings bend, brake, and do not live up to any commercial use. After we built our own I can see that they could be mass produced like Turkey wings and built a lot stronger. It is nice to add 2' to your plow. Any manufacturers listening an opportunity awaits!

8. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

I have buyers wings on all three of my western plows and have bent them a little but never like you are talking about take them back