1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bx24d, Jan 26, 2009.

1. bx24d

bx24d Junior Member

First time post for me. Love the site. I have a gravel driveway about 400ft long and am tired of power brushing the gravel back onto it every spring. I thought of cutting a pvc pip length-wise and sliding it over the cutting edge of either my 72inch rear blade (tractor) or 6.5 ft western plow (pick up) to "soften the blow to the driveway. I don't mind so much if it's there's some snow left on the driveway as my family all has 4wd. If it works well, I suppose a metal pip could be welded to the cutting edge for a permanent solution. Any thoughts?

2. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

It works, several people on this site have done this with a PVC pipe do a search I am sure you'll find the posts.
    Good luck

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusic:cool:sounds like a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

Great idea, I like it just for a gravel driveway.

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I have seen it done with a metal pipe, and they welded tabs on it so it could be bungee corded on from the back to make it stay one. A pvc pipe would not last overly long though if you plow with it alot. However, it does work quite well from what I have seen.

6. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

7. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I know they don't seem to be too popular around here, but how about a set of shoes? Works for me on the gravel drives I do.

8. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

I plow an 800+ foot sloped gravel driveway and the associated ditch area. After plowing it for 23 years, nothing has improved my plowing as much as the 2" pipe yard guard. Thank you Avitare for the suggestions. Check out the yard guard thread at http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=47451&highlight=yard+guard&page=3

My current vehicle is a 1971 CJ5 with a 225CID odd-fire V6, HEI ignition, Heddman headers, 390 Holley 4 barrell, FlowKooler high capacity waterpump, 100 amp Proform alternator, Optima battery, T14 3 speed transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and a Dana 27 in front. More pictures can be seen at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2608975/1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  9. zimmm

zimmm Junior Member

Coevring the cutting edge with pipe works hands down better than shoes for avoiding gravel in the lawn. Made mine from 3" schedule 40 and works beautifully and should last a while. I do my 100x100ft parking area, my 100 ft drive, plus my neighbors 1000ft of gravel driveway. Will never use shoes again. Trying to drop and then raise the plowup a little just doesn't work with the variations where I plow. Only bad part was all the cutting blades for the grinder that I went through when cutting the pipe. I made mine for a Fisher and was real easy to add tabs to the end and bolt to the base angle of the plow. I plan on making one for my Dad's meyer plow this summer and am thinking that a tab could be welded to the pipe and bolted to the plow using some of the bolts for the cutting edge.

10. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Next season, I’ll either use the pipe on my gravel driveway, or the slick contraption from abbert55 in this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=47451&highlight=yard+guard&page=4

Anyone want to fab this for me? :)