1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

has anyone built a bumper to mount on the hiniker frame?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by chuckraduenz, Dec 26, 2011.

1. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

last night i hit a deer with my dodge. only bent the blizzard plow light tower, and bumper. it did also crack the grill and small dent in the hood. had the blizzard light tower not been there im shure it would have been worse....

i got a 04 chey 2500 with a hiniker plow. so what id like to do is make a HD bumper that would mount to the hiniker mount just like the plow. cept look like a push bumper. so if i hit a deer the steel bumper would take most of the force as its more heavy duty than the cheap thin chevy bumper. and would hopfuly take most of the force nd avoid replacing much more.. like to know if anyone has done this?

work or no? seemed like the blizzard mount helped...

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Just make a bad a$$ bumper no need to tie it together. Just make sure you don't make it extend out too far

3. chuckraduenz

id like it to sit at least 2" as a buffer zone so if it tweeks thats fine.... id want to use the mount for the bumper. on in summer, plow on it winter...

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

5. chuckraduenz

one would only be on at one time

6. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I see. Meyer plows have this idea too. I see they now offer a grill guard or brushguard to fit it's plow mount when plow not in use.

7. chuckraduenz

yup thats what i want to do...the damn dnr should let huters kill more. last yr i aimed for a deer in the road with the plow on. but guess what i missed... damn!!!!

any one hit a deer with a plow? do any damage?

8. topdj

topdj Senior Member

Id l;like a full one to put on the hinker frame when the plow is off, I bet it would have to be custom built

9. chuckraduenz

well either that or a part one. this way ill just aim right for the center of the deer and hopefully it hits square on......

i hit a deer 2 yrs ago. it hit its head first. then its ass end pushed in my door to where the out side of the door was where the inside of the foor was. i guess reguardless of what i do anything is possable. evon a full guard probly wont help much if it runs inot the side of my truck....

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  10. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I am actually getting ready to put an aftermarket bumper on my Ram (either a Road Armor or Iron Bull) and will have to adapt my mount to accomodate the bumper. My reason is for the next dingbat driver that pulls out in front of me making hit them though. I plan to do more damge to their car next time rather than just tweak their frame.

11. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

This should be pretty easy. The hardest part should be finding a used light tower or getting the fork pockets from Hiniker. If you call some Hiniker dealers you should be able to find one with a used light tower that was no good for plow use as these sometimes wear out. I believe we have also ordered the pockets only from Hiniker but I don't remember much about how we went about it. Shouldn't be too bad of a project for anyone who has modest fabrication tools.

12. chuckraduenz

ya. think the fork pocket would be the easy part. shouldnt be to hard to build. the most exspensive part i see is the light tower 1/4" plate steel dual uprights that id need to be cut via a plasma cutter or a axis table cutter. think it be stronger and look better than trying to bend, weld something. semmed the blizzard light tower did a good job taking all the impact. i was suprised at 55 60mph.

13. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I wonder in a hard impact if building something like this might save some body damage but might cause frame damage. Even a deer at speed could put a lot of leverage on the frame bracket. Just thinking out loud (& bored).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  14. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I'm surprised it took this long for some one to think of this.

I've given this a lot of thought as I don't like the nekid feel of running around without a big axx protection bumper. I'm not a engineer, other than redneck engineering..... But I've thought about going the quick hook route that Hiniker uses.

Here are some problems I see. One is the forks are not that tight so the bumper is going to bounce around.
    Two like was mentioned hitting another car or light pole or tree or other solid object could very likely do damage to your plow mount.
    And then you're buying a new mount.

15. chuckraduenz

well if i hit one at 70 think the truck will be done for. 55 or less im pretty shure it be good. the blizzard plow i hit with one a week ago held up. so i cant see why a hinker mount wouldnt hold. if i bend the plow mount bumper that be fine. easyier to fix. than fender, headlights, hood, radiator etc.....

if i brake the mount or bend it...... tax wright off.

16. Laszlo Almasi

I myself am mounting an aftermarket bumper on mine and will be modifying my frame weldment to accomodate the difference. If you wanted, you could just get another frame weldment from your dealer and weld additional material onto it to get what you are thinking of.

Personally, I think you might end up doing more damage to the frame mount parts if you hit a deer at speed with a setup like what you have in mind.

17. chuckraduenz

from what i can tell the blizzard light tower only bent and not he mount and is only held on by 2 small pins. but the blizzard mount seems more HD than the hiniker mount. altho the forks seem to be HD but the frame i dont know. im still gona try it. im gona have the local machine shop build one. with headlight guards. just for the 2 uprights out of 1/4" steel and 2 cross tubes is $350ish. to solve the sloopyness i was thinking about adding like a set screw/bolt and some rubber padding.... but i want to get my other mount done first. unless we dont get any decent snow falls here.....

18. Laszlo Almasi

Sounds like an expensive "test" that might not actually work as well as you hope.

I just got the dealership for Road Rhino bumpers and my first set will be here on Tuesday. I'm thinking of mounting the hydraulics behind the bumper where a winch would go and use hydraulic quick disconnects from now on. I'm planning on incorporating the front clevis points to mount the center pivot/lift point for the main cylinder. It'll clean up the plow mechanics a lot (I think) and in the off season, the next car that pulls out in front of me, that causes me to hit them, is going to be in for a very rude awakening. And a deer would stand even less of a chance I think.

I'll post pictures up once I get things ironed out.

19. BigTuck

BigTuck Junior Member

I am working on one now using the lifft frame from a worn out 7.5' hiniker Ill share pics once i get it done.

20. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

I've got an '01 Dodge with an aftermarket Ranch Hand front bumper. I hit a deer at about 55-60 mph right in the grill area. Did virtually no damage to the truck.

I do not have a plow mount on this truck because I need to extend the forks forward about 2" to clear the Ranch Hand when connected. I was hoping I could find someone who had extended their forks to be sure to know to total distance required.

This ranch hand does give good protection from headlight to headlight. It is mounted to the frame, so your idea should work without worry of frame damage.