1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone added a shock absorber to their plow?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by rm25x, Sep 30, 2009.

1. rm25x

rm25x Member

I am thinking of adding a shock absorber to my plow for when it trips so that it doesn't slap back and make a bunch of noise for nighttime plowing. I am thinking either a small shock absorber, maybe from like a Geo Metro, or a liftgate strut or something?
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

i think that type of shock would explode. consider something heavier duty. however, have you considered why there isn't one there now?
  3. rm25x

rm25x Member

Because ATV companies for some reason don't seem to see a need for one on their plows. I have never seen an ATV plow with one. Just an idea from the truck plow crowd.
  4. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

I think a small car shock should do well; the plow tripping should be equivalent to the car hitting a pot hole. If you do try it, please tell us how well it works.
  5. rm25x

rm25x Member

Yeah I plan on trying it. I hate how the blade whips back after its tripped.