1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone added a lightbar?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LawnmastersMike, Dec 12, 2013.

1. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

Has anyone mounted a lightbar on the tower between the lights? If so what size? I've been thinking about adding HID's but would rather have something I can use part of the time and not blind other cars in traffic.
  2. schwerhaiv

schwerhaiv Junior Member

light bar

any responses on this?
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not a Boss plow, but I have 16in on my MVP3.
  4. 1olddogtwo

Not a Boss plow, but I have 16in on my MVP3. I had a set on Rigids on my MVP. The light bar is wired in to my high beams.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, 90% of the time I run with the factory headlights off.
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

This guy did.

7. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

I put hid's in my vxt but only did my low beams due to limited room inside the housing
  8. jpell

jpell Senior Member

I know this is a little older but I just saw it. I added two KC highlighters to my plow. love the lights. Much better now in the snow. I am definitely glad I put them on.

9. ezatv2000

ezatv2000 Junior Member
    from Omaha

i did away with the boss light bar. My 8"2' V is a 2006 and my Boss factory lightbar kept breaking off the light. I plow city streets at 10-20 MPH and the bar wasn't handling the vibrations well so i did away with the boss bar and made a truck mounted bar for a 30" dual row LED light bar and it blows the socks off any boss light combination you can buy. i gave about 200 for the LED and for just one boss housing was well over that so i tossed them and did this[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  10. 1olddogtwo

Those strobesnmore bars are decent, I wish they had a spot/combo. I just order one for my other plow. Its a spot/combo double row from Bully dog.
  11. BossEric

BossEric Member

Ezatv2000, That's nice ! Puts out plenty of light it seems. My only thoughts are, the DOT regulations . In our state, and in lots of others, the DOT is tough on plows. Most states require a plow mounted set of Headlights w/turn signals. And lights must be on anytime the plow is on the truck.Our state also requires a reverse signal alarm(backup), which isn't a bad idea.Just thought I'd mention this , in case others had the same thoughts.
  12. 1olddogtwo

The bars are for off road only.
  13. ezatv2000

ezatv2000 Junior Member
    from Omaha

What you mean off road only, it works great on paved roads lol
  14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

They are not meant for street use. Too bright in the face of oncoming traffic. Better to tie them into high beams for use on rural roads(where no one will care or catch you) and parking lots.

DOT will not allow these as a full time replacement for your headlights. Years ago a friend of mine got a ticket for having a pair of clear halogen driving/fog type lights on the front of his Grand Prix. The cop's arguement was that they didn't have high or low beam capability. Friend argued if he needed high beam he would just switch on his other lights, flicking a switch is flicking a switch, irrelevent which switch it is. So they go to court over this and the judge dropped the charge and told the cop to find something better to do with his time! (For the record it was a harassment issue, because of where he was driving and the cops trying to kick people out based on technicalities, it was a summer cruising location)

Point of the story--you may get away with it, but why invite trouble?
  15. ezatv2000

ezatv2000 Junior Member
    from Omaha

I use them smartly and switch em off when traffic comes
  16. NAC

NAC Senior Member

I replaced my factory Boss lights with the Trucklight Led headlights.