1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anybody used truck mounted snowblowers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Freddy_Kruger, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

For residential properties. I seen some vids but I'm wondering it it would get rid of compacted snow that has been driven after a snow storm. I generally get right down to the pavement (or close to it) with my ice scrappers and shovel and wb snow blowers. I am planning on a pull back plow and a front plow this year, the pull back plow made by Daniels looks like it would scrape up the areas where teh customer drove on it before I got there but what about these snow blower things? They cost about as much as a front plow and a rear plow together.

[​IMG]

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

I run a 7' with (bolt on wings for now) Ber-Vac from Rad Technologies. I've got a 35HP Diesel in the bed and a 40 GPM eletc engage pump in the bed. Modified a Blizzard A frame and pump unit to allow it to be loaded and unloaded from the truck without the Power supply. Up/Down, Chute left/right, top up and down and to be added extending wings are all powered from the Blizzard pump unit and controller.

I've made and run different units including the Hansen units and they were all under powered for the trucks.

The engine is on a quick lift/ lock down custom skid in the bed of the truck and leaves enough room if put in a long bed truck to still put a 6' Salt box in the back.

Swapping from the blower to the plow is Two hoses, one plug and less than 4 minutes.

Jerre

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

It did looked under powered in their video they were always taking quarter scoopes and moving very slow.

4. Jerre Heyer

That's what we found about those units too. I did several units powered off the vehicle engine and the cost of the flow control / pressure control unit and pump were cost prohibitive and under hood available area is becoming a premium. The new Ford Torque shift has an aftermarket tranny that gives full time pto operation regardless of the gear the vehicle is in but it's a costly upgrade.

We found putting the power source in the bed the best option. I've got a diesel powerplant that fits nicely in the back, needs minimal plumbing and can have the throttle shutoff, throttle speed control and pump control wired electrically so you have a simple engine on/off, pump on/off and throttle idle/full switching in the cab.

The unit is not cheap but it will throw a full width at 24" deep almost 100' in moderate weight snow. Slush and slop don't throw as far but the unit will put it where a loader can't in heavy snow and do it at a decent forward speed.

I'll pull the picts out of my file and size them to post.

Jerre

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Jerre,

I would be interested in seeing pictures of your truck mounted snowblower unit. We have a problem in large storms with large windrows behind cars in the student parking lots. Our small sidewalk tractors are underpowered to clear the cars so we end up shooting into the back of a one ton dump which is just not efficient when you realize that if you had more HP you could hurl the snow up over the roofs and into the ball fields or the woods. We have no use for a skid steer year round as I already own a loader and a backhoe but a snowblower unit for one of those machines is, well BIG MONEY. I do lease a Bobcat with an operator from a landscape contractor for the winter and have thought about purchasing a blower for him to use on that machine to do this work but in the end it comes down to trying to stay inhouse as much as we can with our snow removal to give our grounds guys work during the winter.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  6. Jerre Heyer

Jeff, These should show up. Jerre

Pictures from shop thru 41906 810.jpg

7. Jerre Heyer

Off the truck

Pictures from shop thru 41906 804.jpg

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why didn't I get to see that setup?

9. Jerre Heyer

Those shoes.......prsport

Seriously Mark we finished it up in the spring and got a chance to use it on a couple of storms at the end of the season last year.

Jerre

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're just jealous, you ought to see how they go with a fruit pile.

11. dylan

dylan PlowSite.com Veteran

A guy around here bought many units for his trucks. I'm not sure of the brand but they were blue and severly underpowered. He lost hundreds of driveways because he couldn't get them done.
    little 12hp engines on the blowers. They were built way too weak and were just destroyed in one or two storms. Just garbage.
    You should Figure 5-10 hp per foot of blower. 7 foot blower should have at least 35 hp. It should weight at least 1000 lbs , maybe up to 2000 lbs. any lighter and it will break.