1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Has anybody not liked a wideout ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRL1, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Hey guys. I'm having a hard time deciding what plow to use on my personal truck. I bought a wide out and I have a boss vxt with wings now. My brother will be using one of the plows our original plow truck. A 2002 chevy 2500 reg cab. And I will be using my 2008 chevy 2500 reg cab with the spreader in it. I love the vxt but from everything I have read everyone loves the wideout plows. The boss is a 8.2 with wings making it about 10' so similar sizes on the plows.
    Let me know your thoughts.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You'll hate a chain lift, they bounce when transporting ( watch for train tracks, speed bumps and any other transition in the road) , they don't stack as high and they're tough on automatic transmissions....... Other than that they're awesome.....Thumbs Up

Did you get your spreader installed today?

3. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

How are they though on the trans?

And yes I got a lot of stuff done today.
    We wired up the new spreader. All I have to say is wow it is impressive I will post a pic tomorrow. The work lights on back are super bright and the controller is pretty sweet. We are supposed to get 3-6 inches Friday and sat so I'll let you guys know how it works.

4. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

After I wired it up and got it running I did an oil change in both plow trucks and a rear diff seal and new shocks. As well as installed air bags with compressor and in cab controller.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The trans comment is a long running joke amongst a few guys on here.

Wow had a busy day eh.... At least the wind wasn't as bad today, down here.

6. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Yea it was pretty calm up here today as well.
    I'm beat I don't like wiring stuff lol

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Buff, I respect your posts but I have to disagree on this. I run a chain lift plow, a fisher xv to be exact, andI have zero problems with it bouncing over anything while in transit. As long as your not hitting speed bumps and train crossings at excessive speed the whole bouncing argument is moot

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Don't mind him, he has been pulled to the dark side. As long as you have the plow up against the stops there is no way for it to bounce.

darth-vader.jpg

9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I think its hilarious that these guys can say a chain lift doesnt bounce more than a direct. Not saying one is better than the other, but thats just a fact. And yes I've spent years in both. In the same lots. Driving the same roads

10. snoboss

snoboss Member

I have 3 wideouts they are fast, my guys like them. I have 8 unimounts with pro wings all overwidth and more maintenance. Bank drives are the reason I like them.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

BRL, what does most of your plowing consist of? Driveways? Lots? Big parking lots? And being in Wyoming, I know wind is a minor issue. Do you deal with a lot of drifting or isn't it too bad?

12. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

I've never owned a wide out only v plows but one of my friends runs one of them. He's more efficient when we only get 2-3", other then that when we get a big storm he slows right down. He can't punch his way into certain sites and it takes him much longer. I'm not against wide outs but I know I can move quicker on 2" storms if I need to to make up time and on the bigger storms I'll be way faster then him

13. Mark Oomkes

Just curious.....what do you consider a "bigger" storm?

14. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

My suggestion is to get rid of the Boss and get a Western MVP W/wings and a Wideout and you can switch back and forth whenever you want. The ultra mount is the easiest to hook up, you can change from plow to plow as long as they are all fleet flex wiring and still use the same controller. We have blizzard, boss and western and they all bounce.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Until aboot 3yrs ago I ran Meyer plows, with my Boss I found I no longer needed to slow to a walking pace when crossing RR crossing or any other decent sized transition in the road. This is only my observation.

The only dark side I've been pulled in is having a Automatic in my '15........
    I always ran my straight blade close to the ground and very rarely up on the stops. Having it low helped mitigate spray along the passenger side which dirtied the window caused by the vortex created by the moronic design that didn't account for fundamental aerodynamics.

16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Running a 810 since 2006,most efficient plow imho.It will out plow my 10' fisher mc.Just bought 2 new xls's.One is going on my nephews f250.He had a boss v after plowing with my 810 for 5 years.He never liked the v,except for those super heavy storms where a v is an asset.He always missed the expandable.Sort of having a new plain Jane girlfriend after dating a super model!We have a mix now,2 boss v's,3 expandables and 2 straights.It's no lie that you save 30% or so in time depending on lot size/layout.

17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Am I reading that right? Your saying unimounts are more maintenance then a w/o.?

18. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Mark, all our plowing is commercial. no residential to worry about.

Its all mixed with medium size lots and a couple large lots but on all most all of them the snow has to be relocated to the designated areas. I do a lot of big apartment complexes and the use of being able to carry snow around corners would save me alot of time.

Drifting is an issue as well thats why i will not be getting rid of the flared v plow. a 2-4'' storm can turn into a 4-5' drift in some places.

19. Mark Oomkes

The WipeOut is definitely the most efficient of the 2 plows. Regarding the drifts, the V is definitely better, but we don't get drifting like that regularly, so it is worth it to use expandable types. And they will work on larger storms--IMO, the "bigger" storms is where the expandables really shine but what do I know--but you just have to be smart about it. Take smaller bites and know a pickup isn't going to be pushing an entire 4-5' drift at once.

In all the years we had V plows, I think I can count on 1 hand how many times we had to use it in the V position.

20. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

It was late I forgot about the auto. :laughing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.